1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drive dissapearing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BumontheRun, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BumontheRun

BumontheRun Thread Starter

Every so often my cd drive dissapears from the list in MY Computer. All i have to do is restart and it comes back but it gets annoying. Anyway to stop it from happening? Also i think it happens after leaving kazaa lite on for a while but i haven't tested it and it hasn't happened before.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Is this Win XP Home? When your CD Rom dissappears from My Computer, stick a CD (any CD) in it and see if it comes back. It could be Kazaa doing this as it is loaded or bundled with all kinds of spyware. I have a suggestion. If you use Kazaa mainly for music, then try WinMX. No bundled spyware. Look at and get it HERE

3. BumontheRun

BumontheRun Thread Starter

It is XP home, and i tried putting a cd in but it didn't come back. I use a spyware free version of kazaa. And i am not sure that kazaa is doing it.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Then in the Device Manager, REMOVE the CD Rom drive, Shut down completely, wait about 30 seconds, then turn the computer back on. XP will sense the ROM and set it up, again. Hopefully, this re-install will cure your problem. {RIGHT click My Computer then choose PROPERTIES. Select the Hardware Tab. Click the Device Manager Button. Click the + by the DVD/CD Rom Drives. Highlight your listed CD Rom and click the REMOVE button below.}

If this fails to fix your problem, then you should open the case and inspect if not replace the 40 pin ribbon. I have seen this and a ribbon replacement fixed the problem. Also, check for loose power cable connection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice