1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drive does not respond on an HP Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amccain, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amccain

Amccain Thread Starter

My daughter purchased an HP Pavillion XG838 w/ a CD-RW drive about three or four years ago. It has Window ME installed. It has been sitting up for about four months because she bought a new one for college. A couple of days ago I tried to install a program on the PC and the CD drive did not respond. When I put the CD in the drive and shut the door a green light came on like it was trying to read the disk but then a red blinking light came on. What can I do to get it to work.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. It could be time to run a lens cleaner thru it.

Another thing you can try, with a Win ME boot disk w/cdrom support, try to boot to a command prompt (use the w/cdrom support option) and see if you can get a directory of a cd from dos.

3. Amccain

Amccain Thread Starter

How do I boot to a command prompt with Win ME boot disk w/cdrom support, I don't think I have a boot disk. I tried going to MSDOS prompt and doing a dir for the M drive and it gave me the message that it could not read it. Where can I get a lens cleaner?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Lens cleaner: Wal-Mart or computer store. Probably about $6.

You can download a ME boot disk from here:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Save to desktop, not to floppy, double click and follow instructions to create boot disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice