1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drive doesn't eject

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vette, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vette

vette Thread Starter

I have an LG CD-RW drive 12x 8x 32 with driver version 5.1.2535.0. A lot of the time the drive will not eject. Sometimes after a reboot it will eject but not always. The last reboot before this post, it only ejected during the reboot but not after the reboot was complete. Any suggestions besides trying to update the driver?
    vette

2. slipe

slipe

If you formatted the CD it won’t eject. You have to use the icon in the tray so it can write the table of contents to the CD before it ejects it or it can’t be read.

If the Cd was not formatted then try going to Windows Explorer, right clicking on the drive and select eject.

If the Cd is not formatted you might try going to LG and getting the latest firmware. You could also try removing the drive in Device Manager and rebooting.

3. vette

vette Thread Starter

I always leave a cdrw disc in the drive that I use to backup my files so this disc is formatted. I can try to eject/open the drive through software or the button on the outside of the drive but it won't open. It does this with or without a disc in the drive. I upgraded to Windows XP from ME after I installed the drive. Could that have anything to do with it?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What program are you using for your cdrw tasks, InCD (Nero) DirectCD (Roxio EZCD Creator). I had Problems like this when I was relying on the CD Writing stuff that supposedly came with Windows xp. If you are using the Roxio software there is a patch/Update for XP that will make it work. That is if you are using Version 5 or better. I used InCD from Nero for a while but I didnt like as well as the Direct CD From Roxio That is a personal choice though. I cut my CDR-RW teeth on EZ CD Creator. I hear good things about the NERO Software also.

5. vette

vette Thread Starter

I am using DirectCD. I'll check for a patch and see if that helps. Thanks.

6. jnibori

jnibori

If you are able to open the drive during a re-boot, that suggests a software conflict. One of the things to do when the drive refuses to open is to re-boot, and try and eject before any software loads. I would also make sure your drivers are correct for your system.

7. vette

vette Thread Starter

Yesterday I was only able to open the cd during reboot but not after, but often it will open after a reboot. My system is an Athon 1Ghz with 384 mg of ram. O.S. is as I stated earlier, winXP upgraded from win Me.

8. jnibori

jnibori

Try this -

Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > then hit the Device manager button. Scroll down to DVD/CD-ROM Dives and see if there is an exclamation mark, or some type of warning mark posted next to it.

You may want to also give the Hardware Wizard a try. It walks you through trouble shooting, however I personally have never used it.

9. vette

vette Thread Starter

Had already checked the hardware in device manager and there is no exclamation mark. I also tried the the hardware wizard but that didn't help. The drive doesn't eject again as I am writing this post. Any other suggestions?

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    what version of EZ Cd Creator (Direct CD) are you using. Are you using the basic that came with the cdrw or did yu buy the full product? Under a fresh install of, whether an upgrade or full install, of Win XP, even with the installation of EZ Cd Creator (Direct CD) Unless you install the Windows XP update you are going to have problems with our drive, specifically the drive will not eject discs properly. That is what the windows XP update in part corrects among other things. Now the Roxio website only lists their software back to Version 4. If you have an earlier version you are out of luck at that site. In other words version 3 and earlier are no longer supported.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/software_updates.jhtml

this is the url for the website for the updates. Checking the website just now though I did not see any reference to Windows XP support for Version 4 in there anywhere. So if that is where you are at you may have to go with a full version purchase to get what you need. And with the prices for CDRW's as cheap as $49.00 for an LG 24X10X40 at walmart you might consider that route as A full version of EZ CD Creator runs in excess of that by far. Not only would you get a faster more up to date drive but you will also get EZ CD Creator Basic with it. You would still need to do the Win Xp up date though. It is something to think about

11. vette

vette Thread Starter

I have version 5. I downloaded an update last night so I'll see if that makes a difference. I'll post the results after I try it.

12. jnibori

jnibori

For what it's worth...

I don't know if Direct CD is part of Roxio, however, I had Roxio EZ CD creator. The version that came with my system (Dell- XP Home). I don't recall the version, but I too had problems. Not so much with the ejection, but with the finalization stages for burning data.

I finally broke down and purchased Nero. I love it. It has the Explorer formation, and drag-and-drop capabilities.

<two cents worth>

http://www.ahead.de/en/download/nero-prog.html#download

13. wyobow

wyobow

You've probably already checked this, but...

Have you checked to see if the drive operates correctly with a standard cd-rom? IE, does it eject normally and read the CD correctly?

14. vette

vette Thread Starter

I don't have any trouble with reading the cd that's in the drive even when it does not eject. It does not seem to be a problem with the cd itself, but the drive. This is the first time that I booted up my computer after I downloaded the update and the ejection works for now. We'll see if it continues to work after more reboots or not.

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Here is an aside for anyone really who may care, If you decide to upgrade your drive to a newer drive, if you are using EZ CD Creator 5 or 5 Platnum with XP, your new drive may not be recognized by the Roxio software. The fix for this is to uninstall the roxio software then reinstall it. And sorry yes that means reinstalling the upgrade as well. I keep the upgrade file on a backup cdrom. And if there are new ones that come out I save a copy of that to cdrom as well. Just in case. I am waiting for my tax refund then I am going to buy EZ CD Creator 6.

As far as the NERO software goes like I said I hear lots of good about it. But I am used to the interface using Roxio and I have always had good luck with it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/125276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice