1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd drive doesn't read...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BumontheRun, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BumontheRun

BumontheRun Thread Starter

My cd drive stopped working. When i check properties it says the device is working fine but it doesn't read cd's anymore. When you put a cd in nothing happens. And when you try and go to the cd drive it tells me to insert a disk.

The cd drive is a LITEON CD-ROM LTN485S. I can't find drivers anywhere for it to try and reinstall them. Can someone help me?

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

This problem can be either hardware or an issue with the operating system.

Boot into the BIOS and set the boot sequence with the CD Drive as first, also, verify that the BIOS sees the CD-Rom drive.

insert your Winbdows CD and reboot the PC. it should prompt you to boot to CD-Rom.

If it stil won't read, then try reseating the cables and try it.

If it still won't read CD's, then it's most likely a bad drive.

Good Luck!

ST

3. BumontheRun

It was working fine a few hours before it stopped and i don't think the computer went off during that time, just someone else used it.

Should i boot with my windows xp upgrade cd or the one that came with the computer?

4. BumontheRun

My computer support teacher at my school told me to reinstall the drivers but i can't find any. Could someone else look and see if they find drivers for it?

5. BumontheRun

Ok i did what you said. BIOS recognizes it but nothing but it didn't load off the cd drive when i turned it on. I also checked the inside and made sure the wires were connected.

I know the cd drive spins because i put a cd in and when i took it out it was in a different spot.

Now what?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The O/S you're running would be a big help! In any case, did you go into device manager and see if it's there, perhaps with a yellow ! on it?

7. BumontheRun

I have Windows XP that was upgraded from Windows ME. I did check in the device manager and the icon doesn't have the sign. It says that the device is working fine.

Could it be the lens? I have a lens cleaning cd...the only problem is it prob won't spin enough to clean it.

8. JohnWill

If it says it's working in Device Manager, I'd guess it may have actually died. You can try connecting it to another system, or try another CD in that system. That's by far the quickest way to narrow down the problem.

9. BumontheRun

I have tried 2 cds. I was going to install another one that i have from an older computer but the space in the front isn't big enough and i don't want to take it out because i think we have a warranty with best buy.

10. JohnWill

You can usually just disconnect the cables from the internal drive and leave the test drive outside the case and connect it. I do that all the time with drives.

11. carltasha

carltasha

Or in the bottom of the case if the cable wont reach .

12. BumontheRun

I think it could be a registry key that is stopping me or something. I downloaded a program today for windows xp to tweak the system and one of the tweaks was to disable the cd-rom for the user so they could not use it and it was checked like it was enabled. Though i could not disable it because they wouldn't let me unless i bought the program.

Anyone know if this could be the problem?

You can get the program here http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/TTXP/

And the option to disable the cd-rom is under "Security" and then the sub-menu "Security"

13. JohnWill

I'm not sure how such a key could have gotten set. To determine if it's just a drive failure, do you know someone that you can test your drive in their system?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice