1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drive doesn't recognize CD's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hansteis, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hansteis

hansteis Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP on a four year old Toshiba Satellite. The CDRW drive reports that the blank CDR's and CDRW's I insert are full or that there is no CD in the drive, but "properties" tells me that the drive is working correctly. The same CD's work fine in a different Toshiba laptop. I can't back up now. Can anyone suggest what to do? Thanks!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is possible that the drive is having electrical or mechanical problems that prevent it from working correctly. The computer may still be able to communicate with it and not report any problems. It may be time for a new CD drive.

3. hansteis

hansteis Thread Starter

I didn't realize the drive could be bad and still show "working properly." If there is no software solution, I'll check online for a replacement and hope it does the trick.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The electronics in the drive can not usually detect a failing laser diode or if something gets knocked out of alignment.

Does it have problems reading reading previously burned discs or commercially pressed discs?

5. hansteis

hansteis Thread Starter

No trouble reading commercial discs, but it couldn't read one CDRW I had recorded just a half hour before. That one was read OK, erased, and successfully recorded to by my other laptop. Of course, the troubleshooting utility only asks about reading problems, not writing ones.

I have discovered that with some (not all) CDRW discs, rebooting with the disc in the drive renders it temporarily capable of being written to.

Thanks for your continuing help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice