1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd drive grinds after inserting cd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mardigrasvet, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mardigrasvet

mardigrasvet Thread Starter

hi, helping a friend on her dell dimension 3000. cd drive always worked but tonite when we insert cds, it grinds and grinds until we pop it open and remove the cd. any clue? thanks.

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

If you have tried it with more than one cd and its still the same it sounds as if the bearings have gone in the drive ...make sure no foriegn objects have got trapped in the tray no matter how small....

3. mardigrasvet

mardigrasvet Thread Starter

thanks for your help. cleaned it well, tried music cd and others but it still grinds. i told her to start using memory sticks!

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Time to replace it, they are relatively inexpensive and don't last that long.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As Rich-M says, sounds like the drive is shot and needs to be replaced. If it is being used to play music CDs it will wear out quicker because it is constantly having to spin to access the disk. Converting the CDs to MP3 and keeping them on the hard drive or other solid state drive would be much better.

I have had my current DVD ROM for about 5 years now and it is still going strong, then again it doesn't get used that much either.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Replace the optical drive. You can buy one at most computer and electronics stores for $30 - $40 that read and write CD's and DVD's. I can't imagine having a desktop without a working optical drive. Sooner or later it's needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/938852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice