CD drive help please!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigProblems

My CD drive can't read any CDs; whether it's DVD, audio or games. My laptop says the drive is plugged in perfectly, and the device manager shows no problems, but it just doesn't work! Tried Warcraft 3, and it froze at the install screen; opening "My Computer" made the laptop hang. Then I ejected the CD, and after that when I put it back in there was no reaction.

PLEASE HELP! T_T I'm DESPERATE!

Good Evening BP, you might try a bootable cd in the drive and see if the machine will boot from it.
A Windows disk will allow this test but you are only testing for read, don't go past the initial screens if it works, you don't want to affect your hard drive data or reload windows. (at least not at this point in time)
The machine will need to be set to boot from CD first which will likely already be the case.
If the machine reads the CD in this kind of circumstance it gives a fair idea that the CD can read in a raw state.
If you then reboot normally and then try reading the CD in windows and have no read, or evidence in "My Computer" it could indicate a driver or other type malfunction.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online