1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd Drive -- Incorrect Function Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Titanz, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Titanz

Titanz Thread Starter

On my computer I have two Cd drives one is a Cd-Rom (E;) the other a Cd-Rw Drive. Ever since I installed the Cd-Rw (D:) I have had problems with my Cd-rom.

Sometimes I will be able to put a Cd in the Cd-rom (E:) and go to My Computer and click on the drive and it will open and I will be able to read the contents. Except most of the time when I double click on the drive it says "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function"

Even when I have no cd in either drive I can click on the (D:) drive my Cd-rw and it will just open the drive and show an empty folder since I have no cd in it, but if I try the same thing with my Cd-rom (E:) it give me the "Incorrect Function" Error.

This just gets a little annoying when I try to burn from one cd to another. Again it only gives me this error sometimes.

Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated.

2. byon

byon

Hi

Make sure your jumper settings of both devices are set correctly. Are they sharing the same IDE wire?

3. Spyd

Spyd

It can be from firmware incompatibilities. Try updating the CD-RW firmware (it's tricky), or try separating the drives (that they use different IDE cables)
    The ideal setup is:
    -Primary master: Primary hard drive
    -Primary slave: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM
    -Secondary master: CD-RW/DVD-RW
    -Secondary slave: another hard disk?

4. byon

byon

hey spyd,
    i dont agree with your idea of having a ROM sharing the same bandwidth channel(wire) as your hard drive. Pardon me for being rude. *ROMs are using ATA33, say your HDD is a ATA100 or perhaps ATA133. Since you are running both on the same wire, your harddisk will run at a bottleneck speed of ATA33 to compromise the CDROM. Theoretically, thats will be a loss in 100MBps. you surely dont want that happening?

5. Titanz

Titanz Thread Starter

Yes they both share the same IDE cable. Should I make each Drive have their own IDE Cable?

Whoops didn't mean to make those smileys in my post

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice