1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JTHuffy, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTHuffy

JTHuffy Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S351 computer, and all the hardware is original (including CD drive), but I upgraded the OS from XP Home to XP Pro. When I did the upgrade (about a couple of months ago, when I cleared everything and run the system recovery disc), it said the DVD-Ram Driver was not compatible with XP Pro, and had to be uninstalled, which I did. Everything worked perfect for a couple months, but in the last week under the drives on My Computer it suddenly read "CD Drive" instead of "DVD-RAM Drive," and now it's back to "DVD-RAM Drive," but I'm having problems. Ever since then it hasn't worked quite right. CD Burning projects fail after a minute or so (with several different types of burning software), and when I put in a music CD, when I try to play it on Musicmatch (my preferred method of importing music from CDs), I click on the CD under devices, and it says "The item you requested could not be found. Please try your request again later." BUT, it recognizes the CD when I put it in, and it actually plays in the playlist! I don't understand what's going on. I can't burn CDs, and I can't import CDs.

Here's what I've tried so far, to no success at solving the problem:
    System Restore to a time I know it worked fine (message came up saying D: Drive couldn't be restored)
    Uninstalling Driver and Rebooting, letting Windows reinstall driver
    Uninstalling Driver and manually reinstalling driver

Any ideas? Or do I need to clarify some of my description? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. JTHuffy

JTHuffy Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice