CD drive messed up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

diablo8716

ok.......whenever i open my CD drive and close it the light will go on and it wont open again unless i restart my comp...can anyone help me?? :confused:

Try reinstalling the driver, if that doesnt get ya, I'd think the firmware of the drive is messing up and you may need to flash it. Get back with us if thats the case cause it can get deep if your a newbie

I've seen this many times before and most of the time a person is not waiting long enough. The drive will clear, usually, but it takes what seems like forever. At any rate, this is could be a sign of a failing drive, or something running in the backround making Windows to busy to see the drive at that time. Before replacing the drive, make sure your system is clean of virus' and spyware. Also, when inserting a CD, while it is hanging, you might check the Task Manager and see what the CPU usage is doing and with what process. If after checking all that, you can delete the CD Drive from the Device Manager. Shutdown and restart and let Windows re-install the drive. Is this XP Home?

diablo8716

i dont think so...it just windows XP.......thats all i know .......so what should i do to fix the CD drive thing... break the steps down and be specific i dont wanna **** up my comp :D

Start/Control Panel/System,on the Hardware tab select Device Manager. Click the + in front of DVD/CD-ROM devices.You should now see your CD Drive,before you do anything, do you see a yellow ! ?

Ok, go back to the Device Manager,right click on your CD ROM and select Uninstall then restart the computer.When XP starts up again,you will get a message like "XP has found new hardware..."just follow along and you will be ok

diablo8716

ok i uninstalled the Driver but when i restart its still on the device manager list.......and the CD drive is still messed up.

rude spelled it out exactly and if you did what he posted, then it should be back in the device manager. Is this a regular CD Rom drive? If so, then I would replace it. It really sounds as though the drive has got problems and they do fail.

diablo8716

its a CD drive and a burner....Philips CDD4851 CD-R/RW...i think i might have to replace it too, but i wanna make sure that its not fixable cus i dont wanna waste money and have it be a dumb lil prob that coulda been fixed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online