CD drive no-show in Windows Explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grace1st

My PC is playing games and "hiding" my CD drive. When I try to find it (or view the contents of a CD) in Windows Explorer, it doesn't show up. :(

I was having trouble before this happened (and hadn't fixed it yet) when I was burning some CD's, Explorer would only allow me to load four or five mp3's or several photos to the CD but I know that the contents should have been less than half of the capacity of the CD's.

I guess I'm lost on what to do. Getting ready to take it to a shop (and spend money), but I wanted to try here first.

Happy New Year and God bless,
Scott in NM
reply to "[email protected]"

I am having the exact same problem! If you find out what's wrong please let me know.

What is your operating system? Does you drive appear in Device Manager and does it say that it is working properly?

In the Device Manager next to DVD/CD ROM there is a' -'.
Under that is an exclamation mark then LG CD-RW CED 8080B.
Properties says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. "(Code 39)
Does that mean I have to uninstall what is there and reinstall it? I don't know how to do that- don't know, if asked ,what kind of CD ROM is installed in my old Dell computer.
If you can help me I would appreciate it so much- I know nothing about computers.
Thank-you!!!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I love it, this could be a Two-Fer! :D

Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question. Reboot and see if they're back.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

I am sorry it has taken me this long to thank you !!! I was too nervous to try it myself and waited until my son came home for a visit and he did and it works!! Many many thanks(y) !

John,
How do I undo the REGedit above? I tried doing this for my problem that I currently have and now my drive is not visible; where as before it was visible but it was not functioning.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts