1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Drive not recognised in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wmitty, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wmitty

wmitty Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a Time laptop model 8375 I have replaced a broken the Panasonic CD drive UJDA750 with another one of the same make and model number but the BIOS does not recognise it. The BIOS is Insyde Sofware which gives very basic access to configuration.
    When booting the computer I get Auto detecting Primary Master: ST94019A, Secondary Master: None. If I enter the System Configurating Utility I get IDE Primary = ST94019A
    IDE Secondary = Disabled. I cannot find a way of enabling the IDE Secondary. I have tried setting the boot sequence all to CD but this does not work.
    The only difference from the original CD drive which it recognises (the laser drive is broken) is the FW version.
    Please help
    Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You'll need to change that "Disabled". If it looks like it is changeable but you are unable to do it with a USB mouse/kb, you may need to use a PS/2 for the task. It's also possible that the jumper on the main drive needs to be changed since some have a different setting for "master-with-slave" than for "master-alone".

3. wmitty

wmitty Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

The original cd drive is recognised in the BIOS so the main drive surely must be set OK. Its only when I put my new CD drive in does it not see it, and says Disabled. I cannot find any way to change the Disabled in the BIOS, the BIOS features are severely limited, I was expecting to be able to highlight the Disabled and change it to Enabled, but it does not seem to work like a normal BIOS, or am I missing something.
    Not sure what you mean by using a USB mouse/kb or PS2, what is the difference to using the laptop kb.
    Is there a way of booting from an external cd drive so that I can repair win xp ( I have a currupt file) this might get round the problem, although a proper fix would be better.
    Thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the jumper on the new drive set the same as the old one?

Check to be sure that none of the pins on the new drive is bent.

Is your machine bootable from USB? Some newer machines are. What was the XP error?

5. wmitty

wmitty Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks for your help
    There are no jumpers on the old or new drive and no bent pins.
    According to the BIOS I should be able to boot from USB, but I tried it with a memory stick and it did not work, do you think it might be possible from an external CD drive with USB connection as I can borrow one.

The XP error is \windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb corrupted or missing.

I have been told that if this could be repaired or windows reloaded the cd drive will be recognised by windows but I'm not sure.

Thanks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can only boot from a device that has something on it to boot to (some sort of operating system) and a boot-sector written to the drive. You will have to have some bootable media before you can boot from anything. If your machine will boot from USB, then the XP CD should boot in an external USB drive.

Does the new drive have power (opens and closes at least, spins up when a CD is inserted)?

7. wmitty

wmitty Thread Starter

Hi
    Yes the CD tray opens and closes and the CD spins up.

I'll try the external CD drive with the XP disc and let you know how I get on.

Any other suggestion are welcome.

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.

8. wmitty

wmitty Thread Starter

I have attached an external CD drive via USB and tried to boot to my windows XP disc but even though the USB is enabled in the BIOS it does not work.

I seem to be getting no where.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Booting from USB wasn't likely with that machine. I looked at that CD-ROM and there are no ways to configure it. Where did it come from? I think that you have a bad second CD-ROM, too.

10. wmitty

wmitty Thread Starter

Since I last posted I have tried another internal CD drive with the same results.

Even if all cd drives were faulty which is very unlikely it would not show disabled in the BIOS would it?

Can the BIOS firmware be configured to only accept a CD drive with a unique FW number?

Just a thought.

11. jazz3000

jazz3000

Are you running any firmware or something like Nero? And did you swap out the CD drive and leave the software in the system? What does your device manager say about the drive? Is the old CD still listed or nothing?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

This is a good resource if you're running windows - Let us know...Jazz

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

I agree that all the drives can't be bad. I assumed that the drive became enabled "automatically" when connected, but possibly not. Do you have a manual?

13. jazz3000

jazz3000

I just thought I'd ask you if with each of these attempts if you swapped out the cable itself. Is this a new cable as well as CDrom?, or is the cable the original one and are you just swapping out the CDroms? Sometimes the cable can be the problem and not the hardware connected. Just a thought. Jazz

14. wmitty

wmitty Thread Starter

In reply to Jazz,
    I can't get into windows it reports file corrupted or missing \windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb so I need to boot from the CD drive to repair or replace the file using the windows repair facility, unless you know of another way to do it.

I have been told that if I could get windows repaired XP would recognise the drive.

On boot up it says Auto detecting IDE Devices, but obviously it doesn't detect the replacement drive only the original broken one.

The BIOS is weird in that there are very few options available, only
    Main: Date Time, Boot Sequence, Internal Number lock
    Advanved: LPT Ports, COM ports, Shared Memory, TV System.
    Security: Boot Pasword, Hard Disc Boot Sector
    Exit:
    It also says IDE Primary = ST94019A, IDE Secondary Disabled, which is what I assume I need to change but I can't find away of doing it.
    Any ideas
    Thanks

15. wmitty

wmitty Thread Starter

In reply to Jazz,

I can't get into windows it reports file corrupted or missing \windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb so I need to boot from the CD drive to repair or replace the file using the windows repair facility, unless you know of another way to do it.

I have been told that if I could get windows repaired XP would recognise the drive.

On boot up it says Auto detecting IDE Devices, but obviously it doesn't detect the replacement drive only the original broken one.

The BIOS is weird in that there are very few options available, only
    Main: Date Time, Boot Sequence, Internal Number lock
    Advanved: LPT Ports, COM ports, Shared Memory, TV System.
    Security: Boot Pasword, Hard Disc Boot Sector
    Exit:
    It also says IDE Primary = ST94019A, IDE Secondary Disabled, which is what I assume I need to change but I can't find away of doing it.
    Any ideas
    Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice