1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Drive Not recognized by windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redletterdays, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redletterdays

redletterdays Thread Starter

So I bought this used LG storage IDE CD/Drive and installed it in my case. My specs are below. The drive powers up and opens but when I start my system up the BIOS doesn't recognize the drive. I've tried switching the jumpers without any luck. The only problem I can see is that the IDE cable I am using came with my motherboard it is an ASUS IDE cable and it says HDD on it which might be the problem however it fits on the drive perfectely? Or maybe my ASUS sata CD/DVD drive is screwing up something? It would be nice to figure this out

Thanks

2. bigbear

bigbear

Make sure the jumper is set to cable select CS or master MS and the drive is on the end of the ribbon.
    The hard drive ribbon should not make any difference.
    You may also have an option in bios to enable pata

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

Hello, Are the BIOS settings at default? Is there anything else on the cable with the CD Drive.

4. redletterdays

My BIOS are default and the drive at the moment is at Master and is on the first connection of the ribbon, there is nothing else on the ribbon. i don't believe there is an option in my BIOS to enable PATA. But I could be wrong

5. shinybeast

shinybeast

OK, you'll need to check to see if it is indeed enabled. There should be a setting in BIOS for it. Look for integrated peripherals or something like it and IDE setup. Once you find the setting make sure it's enabled. If it is enabled and the connection is good and it won't recognize it, then you may have a bad drive.

6. redletterdays

I found it in BIOS and its all enable. In there I also found something about Jmicron being enabled to IDE so i disabled it. The drive is good and tested on other systems. Maybe this will help, when i start my system there is always a post saying JMICRON RAID IDE something and it says no primary drive found. maybe this helps?

7. shinybeast

shinybeast

Well, I'm glad the drive is good. Is there and option in BIOS for any other IDE besides JMICRON RAID? Can you post your BIOS maker and version, along with motherboard/computer manufacturer?

8. redletterdays

My mobo is an ASUS M2N-SLI delux and I built my own PC. It running windows XP pro-64bit. Give me a sec ill get my bios version

9. redletterdays

Phoenix lab is the maker and the version is 1302

10. shinybeast

shinybeast

OK, if:
    1. The drive is set to master
    2. The drive is attached to the end of the cable with the second attachment nearby up the cable
    3. The cable with the connector off by itself is attached to the motherboard
    4. The power connector is properly attached
    5. Primary IDE Master is enabled in BIOS

and it won't recognize it then either the board is just not going to recognize it or the interface on the board is non-functional, as far as I can tell.

11. redletterdays

Still not working

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice