1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd drive not recognized in system

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ITchick, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ITchick

ITchick Thread Starter

For some reason, the cd drive on my system has "disappeared." This has happened before and I did a system restore, then reinstalled a clean XP Home. This time the system won't permit a system restore. I've put in a new CD drive that works on another system (Should be compatible, went from Dell Dimension 1100 to a Dell Dimension 2400). It is set to master with the correct cabling; not put in backwards; drive is recognized in BIOS as secondary master; drive is recognized in device manager, just not the system. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling; driver error says not installed or corrupted (Code 39). I downloaded the correct driver; can't install; error message "no matched drive detected. This utility is only for SONY CD-RW CRX217E drive. (It lists the drive I have in my system.) I've also tried using cable select and the old drive as well. I use Zone Alarm anti-virus and it comes up clean; I am up-to-date on all updates and patches. System has P4 2.80 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, XP Home. Any thoughts? I appreciate any help you can give.:confused:

2. TomLingard

TomLingard

3. ITchick

ITchick Thread Starter

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm glad you posted. There are so many postings I didn't catch yours when I did a search. The cdgone file worked great. Hope you're able to get yours to burn CDs. I started to try, but it looks like I need to uninstall/reinstall my burning software. Thank you again! MUAH!:p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice