1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd drive not recognized in XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scinoski, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scinoski

scinoski Thread Starter

hello...
    i recently had a bout with some spyware on my comp. i eventually got rid of it by using CWSHREDDER.

however after all that was done, my cd-r drive is not recognized in windows...not when i open 'my computer', and not even when i am in the device manager. this drive is recognized, though, in BIOS when the comp starts up.

any ideas? :confused:

thanks alot!!

2. n2gun

n2gun

Have you tried the restore in windows to go back to a date prior to the spyware?

3. scinoski

scinoski Thread Starter

i have not tried that yet, though i will tonight...

in case that doesn't help, any other suggestions?

4. n2gun

n2gun

You could unhook it and remove the driver from device manager. Rebbot once with it unhooked and then shut down and hook it back up and let xp install it again. Also you could try the add new hardware in control panel.

5. scinoski

scinoski Thread Starter

actually i have already tried that ...

i unhooked the drive and booted up, and obviously the drive was not detected.
    then i shut down and hooked up the drive, and booted. at that point there was no change. the drive was still not recognized in windows, and the drive AND the drivers were still not recognized in the device manager!

what is going on here...

thanks for the help...!

6. Firah

Firah

Although the drive is recognized in BIOS, clear CMOS and see if that will help. Remember to go back and re-configure CMOS settings.

7. scinoski

scinoski Thread Starter

how can i clear the CMOS?

8. Firah

Firah

Shutdown. Unplug power cable. Remove case cover. Look for a jumper close to the battery (a small watch-battery-type battery) and shift it from (usually) pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 for about 15 minutes. Then move it back to pins 1-2.
    Or you could remove the battery itself from the socket, then replace it after 15 minutes.

9. scinoski

scinoski Thread Starter

i will try that tonight...

thanks much

10. scinoski

scinoski Thread Starter

tried clearing the CMOS...this did nothing unfortunately...

i am open to any more suggestions!

thanks!

11. scinoski

scinoski Thread Starter

anyone...?

12. Firah

Firah

Does it show up in Safe Mode?

Really I don't know why I'm asking...I hate to tell you to do a Repair Install of XP. That seems too drastic. So wait awhile on that.

I don't see you mention whether you did the System Restore as n2gun suggested.

13. Hookstar.uk

Hookstar.uk

Had this problem a while back, sorry for jumping in :rolleyes: anyway the problem?

Go to start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ide,ata/atapi controllers.........where you know the cd rom is connected probably secondry right click and where it says device usage at the bottom....click enable.

Hope this helps (y)

14. Firah

Firah

When you were doing the clean-up...Did you have Roxio ECDC, and removed it?

15. scinoski

scinoski Thread Starter

thank you gentlemen:

no the cd-drive does not show up in safe mode. the only time i see it is when i boot up, and then hit DEL to enter setup. the drive is listed there: SAMSUNG SW-224. nowhere else is there a trace of it.

the cd-drive is nowhere to be seen in the device manager...hookstark.uk could you be a bit more specific in your advice? i tried what you said and got as far as IDE/ATAPI CONTROLLERS...

i never had the software Roxio ECDC.

and i tried the RESTORE advice, but unfortunately my comp will only restore back to a few days ago...

thanks for the help guys, and if you have any more suggestions, please keep it coming!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice