CD drive not recognizing blank CDs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

steve-nyc

This is my first posting, so please be kind :)

I have a new Dell computer with Windows XP Pro. I want to back up my data (mostly files and my Outlook pst file) onto a blank CD. But whenver I insert the CD into the drive, it whirs and then stops. And a window pops up (whether I am doing this from the Control Panel or from Windows Explorer), saying "Please insert a disk into drive D" (which I have already done!)

This is only happening with a blank CD. I am using Maxell CD-Rs, which I have used on my older computer. When I have inserted a software CD (such as for MS Office 2003) or a CD that has a photo on it (I had one scanned at a store recently), it DOES recognize it. So this is only happening with a blank CD.

Anyone know what the problem may be? I am perturbed, especially since I am now not backing up my data. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve in New York City

start / run / services.msc
is your imapi cd burning service enabled
if not, what sort of packet writing software is installed on the PC

Welcome! I also have a dell, so I have access to drivers and other resources. I just need to know the name of the CD writer. To find this out:

Right click on "My Computer"
select "Properties"
click on the "Hardware" tab
click on "Device Manager"
expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives" (by clicking on the plus sign next to it)
double click on your CD-RW drive
then- finally- you'll see the name of the drive next to the CD icon.

Please note if the device is working properly (it will tell you in this window). Just post back to this thread and I'll be glad to assist you. Good luck!

steve-nyc

Thanks. I did check and it is LITE-ON CD-ROM LTN-4895, and it indicates that it is on.

I also tried their troubleshooting suggestions, and tried an Audio CD, which played (as did the software CDs). But my blank CDs do not seem to be recognized, as I am still prompted to insert a CD.

Let me know your thoughts. I find it hard to imagine that all of the blank CDs I have (I bought them in a spindle and did use them on my old computer) are defective.

Again, thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Steve

When you insert a blank CD, and you open it using Windows Explorer (can you even open it?), is there an option on the sidebar to "Write these files to the CD"?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online