1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halliekat, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. halliekat

halliekat Thread Starter

I have an old computer that has Windows 95 on it. The CD drive was working fine and I was playing a game from a CD on it and left it paused but still running on the computer for about an hour. When I came back, my computer was locked up and I had to turn it off and then back on (ctrl-alt-del didn't even work). When it booted back up, the lights on the CD drive flashed a couple of times and then when Windows came on, it had a New Hardware wizard but was unable to locate the drivers for the 'unknown device'. After that, CD drive is not listed in My Computer and is not detected during boot up. No problems found in the Device Manager but CD drive is not listed, either under Normal or Safe Modes. I have changed the IDE cable and the power cable but still nothing. Lights on the CD drive do not flash at all and it will not open. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Hallie Kat

2. halliekat

halliekat Thread Starter

No suggestions? Is it just dead?

3. tinner45

tinner45

If cd is still in drive try removing it. There is a small hole in the front of the drive install a small wire ( a strainghted out papper clip will do). When you fill a spoungey movement pres and it should open. Then shut down computer, unplug for 3 minutes, then start computer. Shuting down computer sovles alot of problems.
    Tinner45

4. halliekat

halliekat Thread Starter

I was finally able to get my CD drive recognized again by playing with the connections and Safe Mode. :p It seemed a little sluggish but I was able to get back in and keep playing my game. However, while loading a different part of the game, it locked up on me and after restarting the CD drive was missing again!!! :eek: I'm starting to think either the drive is dying or there is something wrong with that game. If I can get it recognized again, I'm going to try a different game. :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice