1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Drive unseen, now won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sabotscott, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabotscott

sabotscott Thread Starter

My sister has an IBM Aptiva (350MHz, AMD K6, 192MB RAM) and recently her system began failing to recognize both her CDROM drive and her CDRW drive. I checked the Device Manager and it said they were there and working properly, but they didn't show up in Explorer or in My Computer and they did nothing when you inserted a CD.

I tried removing them from the Device Manager and rebooting in hopes they would then see them, but no luck.

All the while it has started taking longer for her system to boot up (like 15 minutes) and now it won't boot at all.

Earlier she noticed that her time/date was never correct, even after changing it to the correct time. As soon as she rebooted it would be off again.

I thought perhaps her CMOS battery was going bad and now has died. If this is the cause, can the battery be replaced or does the whole Mobo have to be replaced?

What other things might be causing this?

Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. brianF

brianF

could be the cmos battery although I'm not sure why it wouldn't effect the hard drives also.

Most can be replaced, they are shiney and about the size of a quarter in newer machines. Ususally you can buy a generic at the drug store, once you replace it you will have to enter setup and reconfigure, so you may want to write down the settings.

Another possiblity could be a bad ide cable, or even loose cable

You could also try disconnecting the cdrom's just to see if it will boot with them off.

Question would be is it recognizing the hard drive, on the boot up screen you should see some messages about initializing devices, both for hard drive and cd's

3. sabotscott

sabotscott Thread Starter

Thanks BrianF,

Right now it's not recogizing anything. I'll try disconnecting the CD Drives and rebooting. I'll let you know the result.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice