1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drive window will not open

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ProFamous, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ProFamous

ProFamous Thread Starter

OK. So I put the CD in the drive, and it makes some noises like it recognizes it, but then stops. Usually a window pops up to ask me what to do. In this case, I want to install some software for my printer. Anyways, when I click on "Computer" and then my disk drive, it just does nothing. If I right click and click "open" a new blank window pops up, but then closes after about a half second. Itunes, WMP, or anything else I have can recognize it. I have tried using other disks (music, movies, etc...) and it does the same thing. Device manager says it is working fine, but it is not, obviously. I am running Vista and I have checked and I have no viruses. I went to microsofts web site (Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs) and I have deleted the UpperFilters, but the LowerFilters is not there, if this helps. Also, I tried the microsoft Fixit thing and it could not fix the problem. It said "Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media" and then the problem "The drive is empty or the media format is not supported", which i know is not possible because I have tried music, movies, and programs on CDs and they all do the same thing. Thanks for any help!
    PS oh yes and I have a laptop Sony Vaio

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

The simplest answer is the drive is defective. Set your BIOS to boot from a CD, and then put in a bootable disk (drive diagnostics, Memtest, Linux Live CD, whatev) and restart the machine. I expect the computer will fail to boot from the CD, and so you need to replace the drive.

3. Soundy

Soundy

+1 - failing or failed drive. A new DVD-RW drive will cost you <$25; just replace it.

4. ProFamous

ProFamous Thread Starter

Well, it might be defective, but i don't know how this could happen. I just watched a movie on it a couple weeks back, and i played a CD on it about a month ago. What could've caused it to stop working?

Thanks!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

By "recognize", do you mean that the drive works fine in WMP and iTunes?

6. Soundy

Soundy

"A couple weeks back" is not today - things can work one day and stop working entirely the next.

These drives will sometimes just fail. I've seen instances where one is working fine, and then not used at all for three months, and doesn't work the next time someone tries it. It just happens, especially with low-cost "commodity" components like this.

7. ProFamous

ProFamous Thread Starter

Was a typo

They can't recognize it

Sorry, i am typing on my phone

8. ProFamous

ProFamous Thread Starter

Thank you Soundy.
    That seems like the only explanation.:(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice