1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd drive won't burn or erase disk

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by YellowBeard, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. YellowBeard

YellowBeard Thread Starter

I purchased some music on amazon and was burning to disk. When finished, I discovered the disk was blank. Afterwards, I could not burn any files or erase any disks, with the drive. Tried on another computer and same problem with that one. Can't burn any files or erase disks. Only read. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive on each computer with no luck. Tried system restore on both computers and no luck. Next step is repair install of operating systems on both computers, to try and get control of drives back. Has anyone faced this problem before?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You could have had an electronics failure inside the drive that prevents burning or erasing discs. Windows would not be able to detect and report that type of failure and still show it as operating normally.

3. YellowBeard

The same problem on two separate computers? One with a DVD/CD R/W and Windows 7 Pro, the other with CD R/W with XP Pro SP3. I've tried several CD RWs in each computer. Same result on both. Can only read files can't write or erase disks. Windows 7 computer is less than a year old, XP is about 5 years old.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I read that as you trying the same physical drive on two different computers.

Were all the CD-RW discs from the same batch of discs?
    Does the burning software do a verification of the burned disc after burning?

Maybe try a CD-R disc and/or different burning software.

5. YellowBeard

The disks were not of the same lot. The disk I began with was the same disk that I had used several times before. I was using CDBurnerXP on both computers. Attempted to burn mp3 files onto cd rw. Process completed with no errors, but when reinstalled disk, the disk was blank. Attempted the same several times on each computer with same end result. I copied files of several cd rws to my computer in attempt to create blank disk to try and burn files to a different disk, in case problem was with the disk I originally used, but could not erase disks. Kept getting error each time on each different disk I tried. The error always shows up at the same point with each disk. Same outcome on both computers. It has to be something that was in the mp3 file(s) that did this to the two drives.

6. YellowBeard

Just an update. Did repair install on old computer of Windows, made no difference. Newer computer is DVD RW also, can burn and erase DVDs, but still, not CDs.

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Test with an actual CD or a new CD-RW and NOT the existing discs.

Most likely cause, based on everything you have done so far, is faulty media.

RW media is the least reliable. I've had some discs last for dozens of burns, and I've had some fail after only a couple of uses. Reliability is also somewhat dependant on the brand of media used. All of my failures have been with Memorex or generic media. My longest lasting RW media is Verbatim.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1126138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice