cd drive won't open

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zookre

my cd will not open on my old packard bell, if i use soft eject and click it 20 or 30 times it will open if i'm lucky. once it open s it will work untill i shut down, then the next time i start up i have to go through the same thing, now i have found out that if i leave a blank cd in the drive it will work any time i want to use it even after restart. does anyone have any ideas othr than replacing the drive?

Make sure that data cable is connected properly.
Make sure that red stripe is aligned with pin 1 on both ends of cable.
Drive Carriage Mechanism may be bad.
To remove any CDs inside use paper clip in emergency access hole to open drive.

Check power connection to drive.
Make sure power cable is connected tightly.
Try a different cable from power supply.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You might also try turning off the 'auto run' via properties on the cdrom in device manager, or turning it on, if it is already off.

You may just have to bite the bullet and replace it. You might find one on a old PC if you have a dump nearby, or at a charity resale store like salvation army for a few bucks rather than shelling out money on a new one for a old PC.

That wouldn't happen to be an old 24x Momitsu cd?

That drive has issues once it gets up in age, what I've done is always leave a disk in the drive on my machine and It opens every time, it isn't repairable without some major effort (gears inside get "stuck" as the drive caddy goes in too far without a disk in) so do whatever you have to if you want to continue using it if thats what you want.

Otherwise you can only replace it

Cheers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online