1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drive won't play DVDs or CDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robmc77, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robmc77

Robmc77 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a ASUS DVD ROM e616 and I have never had many problems with it apart from when it got overheated and then wouldn't play DVDs

I recently moved into a new house and it was working fine but now all of a sudden when I put in a DVD or a CD it starts to come up with errors. It will initially play but then after a while it either says that there is a problem with the CD/DVD and it needs cleaning, when there clearly isn't because it does it with everything. After the error comes up once then it won't play anything at all. The CDs won't work on any type of media player that I have and all come up with error messages, but they are fine when it comes to playing things such as .mpegs or .mp3's.

My first impression that maybe it is something to do with the heat, although when it used to come up with an error, the driver was a lot hotter, in a much warmer room in the summer time. Something else involves one of my friends suggesting I download VLC player and the problems occured soon after that although i'm not sure

I am usually quite good at finding out how to fix problems although this time I can't see to find anything on the internet and I have found this site very helpful in the past. If anyone could help me with this problem I would be very grateful

thank you :)

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

If your running XP try restoring the system back before you downloaded the VLC. The way to be sure is by removing the obvious and if it works you know where the problem lies. If not you go from there.
    Make sure your cables and your jumpers are all tight. After a move sometimes things can loosen up as well. Jazz

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Itcould just be that the laser lens needs cleaning in your drive, try running a cleaner disc through it ...it may also be that the drive is giving up the ghost and the only way round that is by installing a new one...drives can and do get problems,even new ones go faulty.....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice