CD drive won't recognize disc when using copy Wizard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dianaaspenhill

I've been trying to do what I thought would be a very simple task: copy files & folders to a cd, using the Windows XP Wizard. I did everything that it asks you to: chose my files to copy, told the cd drive to copy the files, started the Wizard, and it tells me that there is no disc in the drive. :eek:

I tried two different brands of blank cd discs, each a cd-r. The cd player did not recognize either. The cd drive plays cds okay, so I don't know what the beejeebers is going on here.:confused:

BTW: the reason I'm doing a simple "copy" with the Windows feature, is that I have been told that is all I have to do = using "fancy" Other Manufacturer-brand cd copying programs will not work as well (for copying non-music files).

If I'm wrong on that count, let me know, cuz I *do* have several different cd copying programs, the I'm considering using for music copying.;)

Thanks.

DianaAspenHill

dianaaspenhill said:
using "fancy" Other Manufacturer-brand cd copying programs will not work as well (for copying non-music files).
No, that's not true. Nero and Roxio are both more reliable than the XP native burning. If you have other CD burning software, use that instead. Windows XP tends to be a little flaky. I'd stay away from WMP, too.

dianaaspenhill

Okie-doke; I recently purchased software from Magix: two different cd & dvd burning packages.

I'd go ahead and try Magix and see how it works. Let us know how you like it.

dianaaspenhill

I tried a program called Fireman. It was a mess to use. Uninstalled it. Did a search on various download sites and found a highly recommended FREE cd/dvd burner program. CD driver STILL could not recognize that there was a blank disc in the drive! Did searching on Microsoft knowledge base. Found an article that addressed the problem. Did an uninstall/reinstall of the driver/program (which I had done several times previously), but THIS time it worked!!!

The free burner program looks like it will work: it tried to burn my files, but then I got the message that there was not enough disc space. That's the unfortunate missing feature on this cd program: it doesn't tell you how much space you are going to use when you burn your files.

Anyway, at least I now have the ability to recognize a blank disc.
:)

dianaaspenhill

Howdy, Stantley.

First, thanks for recommending the two very highly rated cd burner programs; I have downloaded them & will try them, in future. :)

Okay, so here's an update: The Magix was a mess; I don't even recall what happened, I was just sooo FRUSTRATED with the non-user friendly interface, along with sending an e-mail for tech support and only getting a reply TODAY. So, I finally went with the program that came with WinXP, and it worked FINE! I got all my docs & pics copied and transferred my videos to a flash drive.

NOW, I'm trying to get my tv tuner/capture/whatever card to "make nice" with the sound output. Oy! That's a whole 'nother trauma, in itself.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online