1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Drive XP Compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlsIII, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlsIII

jlsIII Thread Starter

My CD Drive won't copy files to disk, and I am emailing Microsoft Online Support Service for help. They asked if my device is compatible with XP.
    The info I have is that it's "48X12X48 CDRW Drive Black."
    The name on the drive is "JustLink."
    The compatability check URL they gave me
    doesn't have any sort of information I can find using that description.
    My computer is a Systemax Ventura, with Windows XP, SP2.
    How to find out please?

2. Whaines

Whaines

Do you mean it wont let you see whats on the disc, or wont let you drag stuff off, or wont let you drag stuff on? Be more descriptive =D

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you mean that you can't burn CD's? If so thats no uncommon, you need to install CD burning software. Windiws XP does have built in CD burning support but its doesn't work with all drives and its not that great when it does.

You need to install something liek Nero or Roxio for full burning capabilities. If you wish to drag and drop files on CD-RW then you need something like InCD, DirectCD, DLA, or other packet writing software.

For a free CD burner program try: www.deepburner.com

The drive or computer should have also come with software.

4. jlsIII

jlsIII Thread Starter

To Waines:
    I highlighted file (in drive D); clicked copy; in the window that appeared, I chose the CD drive as destination; program said it was writing to disk, then said an error had occurred, and that the disk might be unreadable or unusable
    ......... that was the case!

Thereafter, whenever I restarted the computer, a baloon was waiting for me, saying there were files ready to write to disk, the very files I didn't get copied. Task manager stopped the task, but there it was again next time.

Thanks for your communication, but my question was:
    How do I find out who the manufacturer is (so I can contact them)?

5. jlsIII

jlsIII Thread Starter

I saw two postings. How can I reply to each of them? How can I view both the original replys while I'm composing my two replies? I'm new here. Thanks

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You just make another post or reply to multiple replies in one post. You should be able to see the previous posts if you scroll down when you are composing your post.

7. Whaines

Whaines

Ohhhhh.... I see your problem. This happens in Windows XP. You can't just drag to CD and make it copy, you have to write to the disc. [​IMG]

Click the baloon or open your CD drive from my computer. The file to be written are transparent. Click the thing I circled to write them to disc. This will make CDs burned. Don't try this for Audio CD players like that in a car as they require a different method.

8. Whaines

Whaines

heh, picture's a bit large

9. jlsIII

jlsIII Thread Starter

yeah, my girlfriend showed me that one. Got the same result (the bug). She also showed me I can click and drag to CD drive, too. Got the same result (the bug).
    Thanks anyway.

ps How can I determind the manufacturer of my drive, so that I can contact them? Hello? Anybody know the answer to this question?????? Hellooooooooooooo!!!!!

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. jlsIII

jlsIII Thread Starter

Thanks. I checked the site. There are some downloads available. Is that what you were referring to?
    I didn't see storage>optical drives to click on.

Tonight I bought Roxio Easy Creator 7. Once I get the bugs out, I can start using it.
    That is, whenever I can get my computer to recognize my Pro Tools Digi 002 Rack module, and not lose track of my 160 GB FireWire Hard Drive when I try to launch Pro Tools 6.4 (it says, "sorry, that location is no longer available.") Sheesh! The problems that can happen.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice