1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EDDIE138301, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDDIE138301

EDDIE138301 Thread Starter

The last few days, my cd drive is not being reconized on the "my system". I go to my system and I see the floppy disic drive, but I donot see the cd rom drive. I have roxio software and I cannot burn any cd or put any cd in the drive. I have taken the drive out and put back in, and it worked for a day. What is erasing the cd rom information in the system? I have windows xp.

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

Typically a dissappearing CD-ROm drive means the drive electronics is on its way out, usually not a software issue.
    (your cd-rom information isn't erasing, your cd-rom is just not initiallizing when you turn your system on)

But every once and a while its something else.

A few inexpensive / free things you might try are

1. Using the drive as a slave on a different cable
    / Using the drive as a master on its own cable
    (depending on your situation)

2. Trying a new IDE cable

3. Trying a different power plug on the inside (some older machines have loose PSU connectors)

More than likely you will end up needing a new drive in the future, but you might luck out and it may be something as simple as needing a new cable, you never know.

Good Luck

3. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Eddie,
    Have you also ran a virus check? We just had a machine brought in the shop today that was so full of infected files, the cd-rom had disappeared. Had to do a format and re-install on it, but the cd-rom was once again visible and usable.
    Just a thought. :)
    JustMe2

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice