1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Driver crashes Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Saul1947, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saul1947

Saul1947 Thread Starter

Hi! Windows 2000 is not reading my Dell CD Rom on my Latitude D-400. Yet I have been able to boot with the System Disk and run a Windows repair. But Device Manager is still showing no driver loaded for the CD Rom. The Device Manager also says the driver `is not configured properly. Code 1. When I try to load the driver it goes to: c:\winnt\inf\usbstor.inf and then crashes. Any ideas? I desparately would like to avoid have to reload the whole system!

Thanks

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. steven1350

steven1350

I have a dell latitude c600, and my drive works perfectly with all versions of windows.

Try removing the drive from the computer (should be a sliding lock you need to move). As you hold the lock open, pull the drive out.

Check it for dust, check the now empty slot for dust, and then put the drive back in.

See if that helps.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Steven,

You provided some good first hand advise, but I don't think what you suggested will not fix a Device Manager error.

5. steven1350

steven1350

True in a way, but can't a system have errors from a dirty drive, causing read errors and other errors that data from being transfered

6. Saul1947

Saul1947 Thread Starter

Thanks for replies. In fact Dell tell me the problem is not about downloading drivers but that Wins should be recognised the CD Rom from within Wins and if it is not doing this the only option is to reload OS. They say the registry can be edited but that it is complicated. Is is so complicated? It sounds preferable to a reformat but I don' t know what changes are needed.

Saul

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice