CD Driver crashes Windows 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Saul1947

Hi! Windows 2000 is not reading my Dell CD Rom on my Latitude D-400. Yet I have been able to boot with the System Disk and run a Windows repair. But Device Manager is still showing no driver loaded for the CD Rom. The Device Manager also says the driver `is not configured properly. Code 1. When I try to load the driver it goes to: c:\winnt\inf\usbstor.inf and then crashes. Any ideas? I desparately would like to avoid have to reload the whole system!

Thanks

Dan O said:
Maybe the drivers became corrupted. I recommend you go to the Dell support web site and download the latest and install them, here's a link: http://support.dell.com/support/top...t/product_support/en/latitude?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Also see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=126380
I have a dell latitude c600, and my drive works perfectly with all versions of windows.

Try removing the drive from the computer (should be a sliding lock you need to move). As you hold the lock open, pull the drive out.

Check it for dust, check the now empty slot for dust, and then put the drive back in.

See if that helps.

Steven,

You provided some good first hand advise, but I don't think what you suggested will not fix a Device Manager error.

True in a way, but can't a system have errors from a dirty drive, causing read errors and other errors that data from being transfered

Saul1947

Thanks for replies. In fact Dell tell me the problem is not about downloading drivers but that Wins should be recognised the CD Rom from within Wins and if it is not doing this the only option is to reload OS. They say the registry can be edited but that it is complicated. Is is so complicated? It sounds preferable to a reformat but I don' t know what changes are needed.

Saul

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online