CD drivers available on floppy?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

icebush

I didn't get any responses to my last post regarding a virus that seems to have messed up the cd. Sorry if I violated some protocol. But since I'm unable to use the cd to reload XP or cd drivers, could the drivers be had on floppy disks or gotten some other way? Or would re-loading the cd drivers even fix the problem? I'd prefer not to have to buy another pc just now, but I don't see many options. Thank you.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
If you can't boot from the CD drive to install Windows then the problem is either
1) Mechanical. The drives has failed
2) The Media is not bootable.
3) The bios is not set correctly

icebush

Thank you for your response.
The drive will read a cd, but when I click on a file, the hourglass comes up, but nothing happens. It's as if the display function is somehow being blocked. I feel this is being caused by the virus, but don't know how to fix it. I'm trying to avoid reloading XP though I presume this would fix the problem. I don't mind reloading XP, it's all the service pack mess that's the big deal with reloading. I'm back to dialup, so pack 1 & 2 would take a long time. I never got around the problem with # 3. Thank you.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
You don't need to load SP1a and then SP2. You can install SP2 without installing SP1.
But you do need to have SP1a or SP2 installed before you can install SP3.
If you do alot of installs you should consider creating a Slip streamed install disc.

You may just want to bump your Hijack log so that it moves it to the top of the category again.
http://forums.techguy.org/malware-r.../912989-virus-whacked-cd-player-function.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online