1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drives not detected....cant access device manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Frezeboogz, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frezeboogz

Frezeboogz Thread Starter

Hey the other day my anti virus sprang up with window saying it had caught something, i looked at it and it said it had been quaratined, so i ran the scan and let it do what it does.

but even since then....my cd drives dont show up when i go to MY COMPUTER. I checked to see if there was something wrong with the physical connection but thats not the case. So i tried to uninstall the driver and then scan for them with "Add hardware" but when I click on device manager I get this message"

" MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access right to file""

I know it's not because i dont have the rights because there is only one administrator.

Does any one have any sugestions? Or has anyone ever encountered a similar problem?

2. beginnertech

beginnertech

Go back into your anti-virus program and look up what file(s) it quaratined and where they were. If thats the file it quaratined, it won't let you access it. If it deleated it as part of the cleaning process then you need to replace it. devmgmt.msc is the file that opens the device mamager. Try using compmgmt.msc in place of devmgmt.msc and see if that works. Then post back whats happening in the device manager.

3. Frezeboogz

I tried that other file and got the same message.Unfortunately I couldnt figure out how to view my quarantine. I am using Windows XP, Symantec Antivirus.

4. tuffguy

tuffguy

Run the system file checker utility. Click start/run, type sfc /scannow in the box making sure there is a space between sfc and the forward slash and click ok. You will be prompted to insert your windows cd to restore files.

5. Frezeboogz

tried it, It said i inserted the wrong CD....it would do anything....is there anything else i could do? I am thinking re-install windows...will I lose all my personal info?

when ever i had big problems thats what I usually do, but i cant use my cdr now to backup my personal files.

6. golferbob

golferbob

yes you will lose your data unless you your data on a cd. on system file checker you need to type in D:\winXP

7. Frezeboogz

Well I am not given that option. The computer does not acknowledge that a CD drive is connected so anything associated with the CD drives does not work.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A repair would be to the way to go. You can boot off the Windows XP CD and perform a Repair installation; you won't lose any data if you do a Repair.

I came across this problem recently too, with the MMC error. I tried several potential solutions and none of them worked. I ended up doing a Repair and it fixed it.

9. Frezeboogz

Ok cool, so now how exactly would I go about to doing the repair?
    Please let me know, I am very anxious to get rid of this little problem. Fortunately I have not really needed my Cd drives just yet, bu eventually i will.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. Frezeboogz

Ok so here is what happened,

I tried what the website said, I successfully deleted all the files while in the repair phase, but when it went to access the windows xp cd from the CD drive, it did not detect, SO basicly i was left with a piece of crap, all the files deleted NO Windows, nothing worked.

So then I decided to re-install windows on the same hard drive so whats what I did. So now I have 2 windows xp on the same hard drive one works fine(the new one) and the other one is crap doesnt go past the reinstalling phase.

Now here is the problem. All my files are still in the other version of windows. I have nothing here. When I goto C:\Documents and Settings\User

to try to see my old files I get this message....

"C:\Documents and Settings\User is not accessible

Acess Denied"

Is there any way to get around that? ALL my files are there! EVERYTHING!

can someone please help with this i really need those files.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. Frezeboogz

YES!!! Two points for canada! AHAHAHA, I am soo happy right now, I thought those files were gone. Ok everything seems to be good now.

When I ran the repair, it deleted all the files from windows and went to install them again but it didnt detect the WinXp cd in the drive. It asked for the "asms" in the Windows Xp Professional CD-rom, and it would move it asked for the path file.

But anyway, now that I have access to my cd drive again, I am going to Back up ALLLL my info(gonna be take me a few days) and the re-format and re-install everthing so this way i dont have two Operating systems on my computer.

But again, THANX man I appreciate it ALOt!!

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Right, I know what happened. Its not that it couldn't find the CD but just a file(or a few).

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice