1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD drives not showing in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jldjs, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

W98 SE, on a reboot got Sec Slave Drive-ATAPI Incompatible error message, Press F1 to resume. I do so and system boots but my two CD drives are missing. Neither appears in Device Manager list. No lights show on either drive unit after reboot but both are powered up. Checked BIOS settings but don't really understand the meanings,
    BIOA Auto Detect settings are;
    Pri Master: AUTO
    Pri Slave: Not installed
    Sec Master: Not installed
    Sec Slave: AUTO
    At system reboot I see the following;
    Auto-detect Pri Master = IDE Hard Drive
    Auto-detect Sec Slave= ATAPI CDROM
    Sec Slave Drive - ATAPI Incompatible
    Press F1 to resume
    Since I don't use this PC(my wifes) I'm not familiar with what might have preceded this situation. Both CD's were working fine a few weeks ago. Any suggestions to cause or solution greatly appreciated.

2. Smokey212

Smokey212

set all your drives to auto detect and try again

3. HappyHacker

HappyHacker

Go to
    Start--Run type in "regedit" and click OK.
    Search for "NO IDE" and if found right click and delete the value in the RIGHT PAYNE.
    Re-boot.

4. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

I tried that in BIOS but when it went into autodetect it changed the Sec Master back to Not Installed.

5. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

Searched Registry but found no instance of NO IDE. I suspect this may be hardware but don't know how to verify that. I'll open the case tomorrow and check if ribbon cable is fully seated. Anyway of telling which of the two CDs maybe the problem? THe master on the Secondary IDE is the CDRW, and the slave is the CD Rom. Both worked well a few weeks or months ago. Nothing has been changed on this PC. COuld this possibly be a virus or trojan?

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy jldjs...

Try unplugging one of the CD drives ( unplugg one, then the other, both power and ribbon cables ) and see if W98 will see the cd drive(s)...

7. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

I removed the master CDRW and replaced it with another one I had. Started the PC and everything came up, both CDs appear as D and E. The old CDRW I used is and ACER and I put it in as the master. Seems to work although after I copied some files to it from C I couldn't get it to eject the cd either by using the Eject command or pushing the open/close button. Got any ideas why this happens? I was using the Direct CD mode of Easy CD Creator and drag and drop of files from C to D.
    Thanks for your previous help. Am curious to why it won't eject the CD! I had to re-start the PC and push the open/close button during the DOS part of the reboot to get the cd back.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

IMHO if you were getting the ATAPI error during boot, then it sounds like the CDRW is on the way out, there is nothing we can do software wise to fix this,you may try a different ribbon cable...

As far as the old Acer CDRW, try putting it by it's self on the channel, or make it the Slave drive ( I've got an old Panasonic that will not work as the Master ), and see if that helps...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/252556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice