CD Drives rarely recognise discs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bandyandy

Hi folks,
Over the past few weeks both my CD-RW and CD drives have been increasingly less likely to recognise any discs. (Cleaning the disc and trying again [often repeatedly] was the only solution i could find)

Initially it started happening on the CD-RW drive with CD-R discs that had not been finalised but it has steadily got worse until this morning when i cannot get them to recognise any discs at all.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it simply that the lenses need cleaning and if so what is the best way to do that. Or have the drives slowly died and i need to go shopping?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

bandyandy

Thankyou both for your help.

Seekermeister:
This problem appears to be media independent. Discs that were fine a few weeks back are not being recognised today.

pshnfry:
That fix looks mighty useful but unfortunately the details dont match.

If anyone can shed any further light ...............

Cheers

Andy

crjdriver

If I understand this post, you have two separate optical drives that will not recognize cds. Are both of these drives connected to the same ide channel on your board / controller? If so, I would try each device on another ide channel if possible.

Have you tried another cable?

It is possible that both drives have failed, however I would do some checking first before replacing them.

bandyandy

Hi crjdriver,
Yes, i have two seperate optical drives that will not recognise cds. Both have deteriorated gradually over the past few weeks, going from recognising most cds to, now, rarely recognising any.

It is going to be a couple of days before i get a chance to open up my PC and i am not very familiar with some of the terms for its contents so i hope you dont mind if we take this back to basics.

The ide channel is the socket into which the cable from the drive is plugged. Yes?

Trying another ide channel means plugging the cable into a different socket. Yes?

Both drives could have seperate cables or may use the same one. Yes?

Thankyou for your help and your patience,

Andy

crjdriver

Yes you are correct; the ide channel is where you plug the cable into the board or in rare cases a controller card.
You most likely have two ide channels on your board; you can try the other one.
Both drive can be on one cable. Each channel supports two devices; for a total of four ide devices. Your drives might be both on one channel [most likely ide2] OR one may be slaved to the hd on ide1.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online