1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd drives there but not there!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DerangedDad, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DerangedDad

DerangedDad Thread Starter

After having my USB ports activated at a shop, my cd drives (F: and G:) Do not work.
    They are recognised and loaded at start up, can be found in the device manager, but not in windows explorer. This sounds like a little bit different problem than the ones where they aren't showing anywhere.
    I have tried deleting them, and having win98 try and find new hardware again. If it does, then it assigns both cd drives the same drive letter. When that happened I thought maybe the problem was conflicing drive letters and changed one. That didn't work and now I can't even get that to happen.
    I'm at a loss here, any suggestions?
    Rob

2. rugrat

rugrat

You may have used up all of your default drive letters. Go to start, run and type sysedit, In your config.sys file
    Add the line "lastdrive=z" without quotes.
    This will allow windows to see drives beyond letter E

SeeYa

3. DerangedDad

Thanks for giving me something to try. I added that line and rebooted and no luck. It shows they are being assigned a drive letter in the device manager under properties of each drive. But it was doing that before I added anything.
    Any other ideas? I need my cd drive to work!!
    :confused:

4. DerangedDad

Okay,
    Don't know what I did to fix the problem. But its fixed! I changed out a cdrom and the ribbon wire. Now its back to normal. Thanks for the help anyway. I will definitely come back for more assistance. And maybe be able to give a point in the right direction if someone has a problem I have encountered.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice