1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD Burner For Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CyTech, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CyTech

CyTech Thread Starter

Hello Everyone, thank God I was able to find this site again. Lost it awhile back, and just spent the past half hour trying to remember my Username and Password. :eek: :D

Anyway, I hoping someone can help me out here. I've bought a used Laptop without a burner, and would like to install one. Hard drive is only 12G and that can fill up pretty quickly these days.

My Laptop is an IBM ThinkPad T20 Model Type: 2647 - 86U

What I want to know is what kind of burners can I get? Is there such a thing as an external burner? Or is it something that needs to be installed into the computer. For example, I current have a regular disk drive and floppy disk drive that are inserted into a slot (can only use one at a time - interchangeable) and was assuming that burners for laptops came this way as well. I've looked on the IBM website (as I have no manual with this computer) as well as a few other sites as well with no luck. I know I can get a burner, they're just not being specific enough as to exactly what kinds I can use.

Something tells me that there is a ridiculously easy answer to all this. The problem is...I don't know what it is. :D

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Internal optical drives are not universal to laptops like they are to desktops. The first question would be did IBM ever make a DVD/CDRW combo drive for this computer. If yes, then you might try searching eBay for a used one. If not, then you'll have to get an external USB burner.

3. CyTech

CyTech Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply DoubleHelix,
    I'm assuming you meant to say desktop. I'm not certain if IBM did make a specific burner of this unit. I'm currently trying to figure that out; I was just on their site. External USB burner? So there are external burners. I'll have to look into that, to see what I can find/learn.

Thanks again for your help. It at least points me in the right direction.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If it has an internal CD then it will be a TEAC one.
    I use a standard external USB2 DVD reWriter. It does require a mains power supply though.
    Try looking at the IBM web site for a Pukka one for you machine or I think Freecom do a slimline one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/362652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice