CD/DVD Burner not found

Xylop

I tried to burn an ISO-with mentioned result. Videos are perfectly displayed. DVD is ok, as I burned the ISO on another notebook. The field right from "CD/DVD Burner" is empty. I searched the internet for this, used "Troubleshooting" in the "Control Panel"-no avail! Checked the "Device Manager", driver, seemingly ok. Many advices on the internet, what would be right method, step by step? System backup and a system repair disk I could not make, too. It is a HP Elitebook 8560w. For now I do not want to reboot the machine with an OS on a DVD, to check, if the OS will start, as I have to complete work at the moment.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20200501095946.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
Hard Drives: C: 238 GB (164 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1631, ver KBC Version 01.3D, s/n PCDJHB77V2H2D1
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - f, s/n 5CB21350MS
Antivirus: None

Right click on the ISO file and choose Burn...

If that doesn't work, download Rufus which will burn ISO to a USB key.

Xylop

That's what I did. Want it on a DVD. What about repair disk and system backup?

Last edited:

Couriant

James
Does this Elitebook have an internal drive? The specs for this machine doesn't show it does

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20200501095946.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
Hard Drives: C: 238 GB (164 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1631, ver KBC Version 01.3D, s/n PCDJHB77V2H2D1
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - f, s/n 5CB21350MS
HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation (support site for yours)

I believe it has an upgrade bay for adding a second storage drive or a disc drive, but I can't confirm that.

--------------------------------------------------

Xylop

HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation (support site for yours)

I believe it has an upgrade bay for adding a second storage drive or a disc drive, but I can't confirm that.

--------------------------------------------------
Answer the question, does your machine have an internal DVD burner ?
Does this Elitebook have an internal drive? The specs for this machine doesn't show it does
Yes, of course. As mentioned above, watching vids works!

Last edited by a moderator:

Couriant

James
I removed your duplicate replies. Please use the Quote option on each of the posts, then click insert posts below to put in your one answer.

Now, re-reading this, I am slightly confused on what is going on.

On the affected machine, you have an internal dvd player.
You say 'vids are fine', which I assume you mean playing DVDs?
You are trying to burn an ISO to DVD, but you are not seeing the drive?

What ISO are you trying to burn?
What software are you trying to use?

It's possible that the media you are trying to use may not work in the drive. I have had issues over the years where some brands simply didn't work.

plodr

Liz
Are you positive that the internal optical drive is a DVD burner and not just a DVD player?

Go here https://www.raymond.cc/blog/do-you-know-your-cd-or-dvd-drive-burning-capabilities/
and download the third tool mentioned: CD/DVD Device capabilities tool then post the screenshot of the result here.

It is about 200kb and doesn't require an install. Once the screen comes up, you have to select your optical drive in the left pane.
Here's what mine looks like.
CD_DVD info.jpg

Xylop

I removed your duplicate replies. Please use the Quote option on each of the posts, then click insert posts below to put in your one answer.

Now, re-reading this, I am slightly confused on what is going on.

On the affected machine, you have an internal dvd player.
You say 'vids are fine', which I assume you mean playing DVDs?
You are trying to burn an ISO to DVD, but you are not seeing the drive?

What ISO are you trying to burn?
What software are you trying to use?

It's possible that the media you are trying to use may not work in the drive. I have had issues over the years where some brands simply didn't work.
Thanks for the advice, I am pretty clumsy, when it comes to use the forums software properly, because there are so many and many ways to use them. Yes, playing DVDs works. I tried to burn a repair disk, boot loader, for a complete encryption of the internal SSD. This requires to burn above mentioned disk. I used the Win7 burn software, not working. Therefore I burned the ISO on the T500. Plugged in this disk into the optical drive of the HP and completed the encryption. The result was ok. Now I will try to burn other data, as a diagnostic step and will report the result here.

Xylop

Are you positive that the internal optical drive is a DVD burner and not just a DVD player?

Go here https://www.raymond.cc/blog/do-you-know-your-cd-or-dvd-drive-burning-capabilities/
and download the third tool mentioned: CD/DVD Device capabilities tool then post the screenshot of the result here.

It is about 200kb and doesn't require an install. Once the screen comes up, you have to select your optical drive in the left pane.
Here's what mine looks like.
View attachment 284532
Great advice-those 4 "Can write" are answered with a "NO"! Can't believe it, such a pricey machine..... I tried to make a screenshot of the result, "Print"+"Paint", normally doing this, refused to obey.

Couriant

James
Do you mean PrintScreen? Depending on your keyboard you may need a different function.

You should have Snipping Tool on your machine to do a screen shot.

You also copied and paste your answer... did you intended for that answer to ploder and not mine? If so you can delete the one you did to me.

Xylop

Am I right, when assuming, burning is impossible, unless I get a drive that can burn or an external optical drive?

Couriant

James
Am I right, when assuming, burning is impossible, unless I get a drive that can burn or an external optical drive?
Correct, you need a DVD burner to write to a DVD. Can you confirm the model showing in Device Manager of the DVD drive on the affected machine?

Xylop

Do you mean PrintScreen? Depending on your keyboard you may need a different function.

You should have Snipping Tool on your machine to do a screen shot.

You also copied and paste your answer... did you intended for that answer to ploder and not mine? If so you can delete the one you did to me.
My bad, plodr was meant. According to your hint, I tried a different key-worked! For the first time I used the Snipping Tool, worked, too. Even easier! Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online