1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD Burning Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jowen, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jowen

jowen Thread Starter

I have a problem burning CD's or DVD's. If I try to do it straight from Windows Explorer it just hangs. If I try from Nero it goes for a while (Usually 28 seconds!!!) then hangs. I have replaced the entire drive and the problem has persisted. I have uninstalled the driver and let it reinstall and again no change. It used to work OK then this started a few weeks ago. There was nothing significant that happened at that time other than this. Running XP. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. thechanmane

thechanmane

If you could provide some more information, we can provided you with an accurate diagnosis much more quickly. What brand is the burner, and do you have the latest drivers/firmware? What version of Nero are you using? Do you try to use Nero immediately after using Windows Explorer's integrated burning extension? Is this a new problem and have you made any recent changes to system settings or hardware configuration?

Without this information (pending your next reply), i cannot provide you with a solution; however, my initial thought is that the Windows Explorer burning extension is being activated and then locking your drive (preventing other programs from accessing or using it), which is what causes Nero to hang. The Windows Explorer burning extension is not very elaborate and often provides inconsistent/undesirable results.

With this in mind, i would recommend that you first check for updated drivers and firmware. Once your drivers and firmware are up to date,

1. restart your computer and then "refresh" your CD drive. Simply insert any CD with data into your drive and allow Windows to search the disc and load any auto run software. This will unlock the drive (just in case you have persistent programs locking your drive) and allow other software to use it once the data CD is ejected.
    2. Just for redundancy, restart your computer again and allow it to boot/load up completely. Do not insert a blank disc at this point, i will get to that in a few moments!
    3. Open Nero and begin creating you new CD/DVD. Wait until you press "burn" and Nero asks you to insert a blank disc before you insert a disc into the drive. After the disc has been inserted, Nero will being to burn the disc (hopefully :)).

If this does not work, reply back with the information i requested at the top of my post, and we can work out another solution for you!

3. jowen

jowen Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Sorry for slow response I have been away.

I will try what you suggested but I am sure I have tried Nero straight after a reboot and still had the problem. But to be sure I will try again.

Its not my machine so I cant say for sure what happened when the problem first started but the owner is just a switch it on and use it type so doesnt mess with anything.

It not a new problem it started a few months ago.

I will have to check the drive model. I think its a Samsung and its new. I made sure the firmware was up to date. The driver is the standard XP CDROM driver there was no extra driver with the unit.

As I mentioned previously this problem was occurring prior to this drive being installed. We replaced the old one to see if it fixed the problem and it didnt. The old unit was a Lite On I think.

Thanks for your help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice