1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd/DVD Burning Problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tonerjames, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonerjames

tonerjames Thread Starter

Hi Guy's im having problems trying to burn DVD's and CD's, its wierd because my DVD and CD Drive both read the blank disk's but when i go to burn something in Nero (or any other Burning App Ive got) In Nero the speed is just graded out to x2 speed and i cannot change it, and sometime's there is no speed there @ all its jst a graded out box? but if i click burn when it is locked on x2 it just says plz insert a blank DVD so i do and nothing happen's, has any1 got any idea's? if you want me to post a screenshot if it will help, i will

2. diablo75

diablo75

Have you checked to see if the manufacturer who made the drive has a firmware update for it?

3. tonerjames

nope, ive tried different disk's, the DVD drive, wont read orignal propper DVD's, but it will read a coppied DVD but it just come's up on the drive like its a blank disk and nothing is on it? and i cannot play the movie on the disk, my CD drive will read CD's, my main concern is to get the DVD Drive sorted out, does that help in anyway? but my DVD drive is AOPEN DUW1608/ARR could you help me getting what i need for it?

4. diablo75

diablo75

How old is the drive? Those things do fail. I have to replace mine about once every one or two years...

5. tonerjames

the drive is about 2yr's old, its strange that the drive will read Blank DVD's but not burn them, would a firmware upgrade help @ at all?

6. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

have u gone into device mgr & ck'd 4 any yellow !'s? or try uninstalling the drive & let windows reinstall it? also, there's tons of advice here in the forums, just do a search from the tool bar above, might find something that helps :D

7. diablo75

diablo75

Well, this sounds pretty similar to what my DVD drive did before I gave up trying to make it work and decided to spend a little more the next time around. At the time, there was an article on tomshardware.com that reviewed 5 burners that cost less than $50. I narrowed the options down to two, and then used customer feedback found on newegg.com to decide which of the two would be the winner. I went with the $40 Panasonic, but your own research may find you something even better.

8. tonerjames

yea i tried reinstalling it from device manager, is there anyway of fixing the laser of anything like that if i open it up?

9. diablo75

diablo75

No, there isn't. If there were, it would probably cost you just as much as it would to spend 40 bucks or so on a brand new drive. They're not expensive. I consider 40 bucks to be a reasonable price for a drive that lasts at least 2 years.

10. tonerjames

okies, no worries, thanks for your help, ill have a sniff around, have you got an suggestions? my CD burner is a Samsung?

11. diablo75

diablo75

I would get this drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129007&Tpk=DVR-112

It's the same one I bought a few months ago, and it's dropped in price. Just 30 bucks!

I like the customer review someone wrote about it. The "Cons" part is funny.

"
    Pros: Works wonderfully, replaced my DVR-111D that didnt want to burn DL DVD's anymore. Out of 1000 discs I may burn 1 coaster with a Pioneer drive. Burns any kind of media flawlessly.

Cons: This took me 5 minutes to install instead of my estimated 3 :[

Other Thoughts: Fantastic drive, fantastic price. You cant go wrong. Now if i stopped being cheap and bought a new mobo with SATA I can get the SATA version :] "

12. tonerjames

thanks for the reply, dno if this helps you more or not..... just done a firmware upgrade on my DVD Drive but still no luck :( the wierd thing is though if i boot onto like a bootable live XP Disk, and try to burn a CD IMAGE with the DVD Drive it work's? but DVD video files still do not and neither does my CD drive unless its on the Live CD thing

13. Raised Grain

Raised Grain

When the tire on your car won't hold air any longer, buy a new one.

14. tonerjames

i don't drive yet.... :p

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice