1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD correct markers

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jrbuergel, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    When I ran out of my CD/DVD correct marker, I used a extra fine point standard marker for a fresh burned CD disk, but then I can see a mirror image of my writing on the data side, but not dark only lite just like scratches are. So then does that effect the data integrity or not really ?

2. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

CD has no protective polycarbonate layer, like DVD. So much of it depends on how hard you press when you write. Those CD/DVD "safe" markers are unnecessary and ridiculous. A good Sharpie is all you need. The "safe" aspect was proven to be myth long ago -- years and years ago. It's something that is sold simply because people are gullible enough to buy it. Sort of like all the "safety" crap you see in baby stores.

Test the disc: How to Test the Burn Quality of CD/DVD Media

See what the results are.

3. Hughv

Hughv

I've been buying and recommending these water-based markers for several years after reading some info that suggested they cause less harm than solvent based markers. The little info I can find suggests they are still safer, so what's the basis of your "unnecessary and ridiculous" remark?

4. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Here's one from mscience.
    Yes, the site looks like crap, but it's actually a good optical disc research site.

Note use of qualifiers like "can" and "may" -- meaning it doesn't really happen, it's just hypothesis (not even a fully-qualified theory). Fingerprints have just as much corrosives as the chemicals in the inks -- ANY inks.

The bigger issue tends to be coatings on the sputtered reflective. Remember that CD-R lack upper protection, so you're writing on a foil or other on-foil surface.

This is one reason that "shiny silver" discs should be avoided.
    Read this: Dangers of "shiny silver" discs? (CD-R,DVD-R)

Sharpie did a study too, and I have the PDF, but would have to find it. There were no more or less bad discs from Sharpie vs the "safe" markers.

It's all hogwash, based on info so flimsy it doesn't even qualify as a theory (hypothesis only).
    You're wasting your money.
    Use those funds for better discs (TY inkjet CD-R @ $26/100).

The marker matters less than other aspects.

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

The only criteria I know of to make a marker safe for CD/DVD labeling is that it be a felt-tip. Although I've sometimes wondered just how hard a tip needs to be before it's unsafe. (Which is pretty obviously related to how hard you press, too.) LordSmurf, do you know of any research showing whether or not nylon-tip markers will scratch the surface of CD's? Not that I feel inclined to use them really, just asking out of curiosity. IMO you should not, under any circumstances, use metal or ceramic-tipped markers on CD's.

6. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

It really comes down to just this.
    You can press too hard with felt, too. And that's bad for the CD.

7. valis

valis Moderator

all I've ever used are sharpies, or, when in a pinch, magic markers. I've yet to have a CD or DVD crater itself without at least a little input from either my dog or son.......:rolleyes:

8. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Wish that were true for me, but I figure about half the input that's cratered mine has come from me. Either not watching where I put my big freakin' feet or sometimes where I put my big freakin' butt. Considering the number of times I've broken glasses by simply not watching how I'm holding them I'm surprised I haven't done that to a CD (yet).

9. valis

valis Moderator

ya know, what's weird is that I got my glasses in 98....still have them. Not scratched, always in the hard case, and I use them driving at night or playing a racing sim on the xbox......but the fact remains, I still have the damn things.

Too bad style hasn't kept up, eh? :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!