1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-DVD drive -external- causes Wins 2000 to crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saul1947, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saul1947

Saul1947 Thread Starter

My CD-DVD drive makes my Latitude Dell D-400 crash with Wins 2000 if I connect it at boot up. The problem arose first when I was using WinAmp to copy CDs. It had been working perfectly.
    The Bios recognises the CD driver. At one stage with the problem when I connected the Drive it found new hardware, looked for the driver (usbstor.inf in WINNT/Inf folder) and then crashed once I accepted it. At one stage it also gave me the message that the driver was configured incorrectly. So I then copied the usbstor file from another Wins 2K machine and put it on mine. Now it crashes once I connect the CD rom.

Dell are unable to tell me which of their CD drivers is the correct one for the Drive. The label on the back identifies it simply as a Dell CD/DVD drive. They also say it is a Wins problem because Wins should pick up the drive automatically. They mentioned that it might be possible to edit the Registry.

Dan O posted a reply on 6 July to a CD problem which the guy in the end found out was caused by dust. But his answer may be relevant to me.

In the registry under System/Control/Class that there are 24 sub folders all with the same address Dan O mentioned in his thread of 6 July (ending in ...10318). Would the fix that he describes in that thread be any help to me? The fix was as follows:

Fix CD exe

If the devices appear in Device Manager with a yellow !, try this fix, reboot and test.Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG ---------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    --------------------
    I'd be grateful for any help. I can reformat if necessary, but loading the programs is a pain.

Thanks
    Saul1947

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice