1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD drive is ejecting all media

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by connecx, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. connecx

connecx Thread Starter

Hello
    I have been having this problem with my CD/DVD drive for about 2 weeks. I originally put a burnt CD into the drive and it read the CD as blank. Now when I put in any CD or DVD of any kind it tries to read it for a few seconds and it ejects.

I have a Dell XPS 1530 Laptop runnign on Vista. Its a year old.

The drive is a TEAC DVD+-RWDVW28SLC ATA Device
    I have updated the driver software.
    I have booted a windows cd in Bios so I know that the drive can read and boot from a CD. I ran all tests on the drive from the boot cd and everything passed.
    I went through all this with Dell Tech support and they came to the conclusion that it is a software issue. Unfortunately I have to pay for the software tech help and I cant afford this.

Does anyone have anymore ideas?

Please

2. TekTime

TekTime

Have you tried updating the Firmware for your drive?

3. connecx

connecx Thread Starter

I looked on the Dell site for firmware updates.
    They dont have a firmware update for this model of drive.
    Dell support are convinced that this is a software issue.
    I rang them back after I wasnt completely convinced the first time around.

I have tried altering the registry. I cant remember exactly, something about deleting the "lower and upper" ....cant remember.
    I also scanned the comp for viruses with AVG and Spybot. Spybot forund 2 trojan horses which are now removed.
    I have reverted back with a system restore. Back to April 2nd but I thin I may have had this problem before then but this is the oldest restore point.

What else could it be?

4. TekTime

TekTime

The "upper and lower...filters" registry edit sounds like the edit used when a CD/DVD drive is having issues being detected in Windows.

Can you swap out a different drive with the problematic drive to see if you have that issue?
    It could be that the drive itself is defective.

5. connecx

connecx Thread Starter

Unfortunately I cant swap put a different drive. Its a slot load optical drive and I cant open up the laptop as I would have no idea what I was doing.
    I'm assuming if the drive was the issue it would make it a hardware issue?
    Only problem is I did all the tests to make sure it wasnt a hardware issue. I'm only left with the option that it must be a software issue.
    COuld the tech support people be missing something?

I really need to burn a DVD.

Help appreciated.

6. TekTime

TekTime

Did you start experiencing this problem with your drive ejecting AFTER the trojans were found/removed?

7. connecx

connecx Thread Starter

No I had this problem before I knew that I had a trojan. I removed the trojan today when I did a scan with Spybot. I then tried putting in the cds again after I scanned with both AVG and Spybot. I have had this problem with the cds/dvds ejecting for about 2 weeks now....

8. TekTime

TekTime

It's possible that the trojan could have affected your DVD drive by altering either system files, registries entires etc. HAve you tried removing the drive in device manager, then restarting your PC and letting Windows reinstall? That MAY help....

9. connecx

connecx Thread Starter

I just tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver software, restarted and still the same problem.
    I also installed new windows updates and restarted, still the same problem.
    I put in the drivers and utilities CD and it worked fine, I could open the CD no problem.

Its ejecting proper movie DVDs. Its reading all data CD and DVD discs as blank. It ejects audio CDs.
    This is really frustrating.

Any other suggestions?

10. TekTime

TekTime

Have you tried cleaning the laser in the drive? If that doesn't help it remains likely that your device is failing and needs replacing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice