1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd/dvd drive missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cda, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cda

cda Thread Starter

hp pavillion dv6646us
    vista upgraded with retail version of Windows 7
    Ram 4 G
    Norton Antivirus
    uninstalled Windows Live One Care

Over the last 3-4 months I changed my anti virus and upgraded to windows 7, sometimes in there, my cd/dvd drive has been lost. I dont know when it happened.

I tried various internet tips to no avail, removing filters, microsoft fix it etc. Microsofts fixit says no optical drive is detected. I really dont think this is a physical problem. NO itunes, not new cd/dvd burning software added or deleted.

In device manager, the cd/dvd drive is not even listed

It IS listed in the Bios at start up... in the second position

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP :D

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have any errors or devices missing drivers in Device Manager? Have you unplugged the drive then plugged it back in? Might be just slightly loose.

3. cda

cda Thread Starter

I have no error or alerts in the Device Manager.

I have not done anything to the drive itself. I have never opened my laptop but I will do that when I get home from work this afternoon.

4. cda

cda Thread Starter

Well... the drive seemed to be connected properly...

then I found something online called the
    HP Instant Support Professional Edition - Online Diagnostic Tools..
    I ran all the check tools given...
    the Cd/dvd drive passed the test and now it is back !!!!

Will it remaiin after I reboot and use the computer for a few days ? I dont know... any ideas on how the problem was solved so I'll know if it happens again ?

thanks

5. cda

cda Thread Starter

Well, its gone again....at least now I know for sure it is not a physical problem but a windows problem !

6. vicks

vicks

Try going back to HP and getting updated drivers for the drive.
    Also, go inot device manage and right click on the drive, select remove, immediately reboot the computer and let Windows find and reinstall the drive.
    I think this should help.
    Vicks

7. cda

cda Thread Starter

When I search HP for updated drivers for my model...none are shown except for an update for something I dont use...

I can not right click on my drive (cd/dvd) in device manager because they arent even listed there !

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. vicks

vicks

If you know the make/model number of the cd/dvd drive go to www.driverguide.com. This site is free to use but you must register to use it..
    If you do not know the make/model number this site might help: www.belarc.com. This small program lists everything on your computer, including hardware specs., software, w/license numbers etc. then you could go to the first one and check for current drivers for it.
    Triple6's post might be good for you to do....

I keep a printed copy of the Belarc for each computer for reference if/when something goes wrong.
    Good luck....post back and let us know how it goes.
    Vicks

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Internal CD\DVD don't have any additional drives beyond what Windows already has. Plus the drive is not being detected at all.

11. cda

cda Thread Starter

I visited the site Triple6 provided... I found a bios winflash for HD notebooks....etc but it says it is for a Vista based system and I have upgraded to 7 .... afraid to proceed without a bit more knowledge...

I have my serial number sticker on my laptop it is CNF 73926X5.. dont know if that matters.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The flash utility should run under Windows 7 too.

13. cda

cda Thread Starter

Well.. I did the flash bios utility... it seemed to install properly with no errors. But still no change on the cd/dvd drive. It is not listed in the device manager at all.

When I start up and go to F10... it is listed in the second place in the boot order

ATAPI CD/DVD Rom
    followed by the Notebook Hard Drive
    USB Floppy is in first place

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wonder if that's a generic message. If you were to remove the CD drive does it still show in the boot order? I assume you don't have a floppy drive even though one is being listed?

If you press F2 does it show the DVD drive in the BIOS sertup?

15. cda

cda Thread Starter

No I dont have a floppy.
    I dont know how to remove the cd drive.. I did open it and check the cable attached but did not see an obvious place to unplug.
    When I press F2 at start up... I see a hard drive diagnostic utility that take 85 minutes to run... is that where you wanted me to look for the DVD in BIOS

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice