1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd/dvd drive not reading disc

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jlassiter, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlassiter

jlassiter Thread Starter

My cd/dvd drive will not read any disc. I have done several troubleshooting methods, nothing has worked. I can not do a hardware diagnostic test because my drive acts like there is not cd/dvd in it. How can I tell if the drive needs to be relpaced or if there is another problem.

2. pip22

pip22

3. jlassiter

jlassiter Thread Starter

Thanks. I have tried the fix it with mircosoft support, it did not work. I did not think about cleaning though. I will have to try that.

4. jlassiter

jlassiter Thread Starter

I tried the cleaning disc, it would not work. Is there something I can do to tell if the drive itself is bad before I replace it?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds to me like you proved you need a new drive. The way to tell it needs replacing is when you reset cables, try a new one, clean the drive and if it still won't read anything you have your answer. The good news is today if you go to the right place, it's a $20 item.

6. jlassiter

jlassiter Thread Starter

how do you reset cables? where is the right place, the place I looked it was $80.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Open the case and look at the back of the drive. You will see the 2 cables. If you don't have any others to try, then time to go to a shop though it would be cheaper to just buy a new one and stick it in and trhow out the other. To tell you where to buy one I need to know what your system hardware is and where you live.

8. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice