1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD Drive reads audio CDs but not data CDs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by muskeit, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muskeit

muskeit Thread Starter

I have a Compaq desktop that is little over a year old. My problem is with the CD/DVD drive. It plays audio CDs normally. However, when I insert a data CD it just stalls. At first the cursor becomes a hourglass but then becomes an arrow again. The light on the CD/DVD drive window comes on and remains on even after the hourglass becomes an arrow again.

I looked online for possible solutions. I tried two that did not work. One involved going into the registry and modifying values. The other involved going to the device manager and changing the option for the secondary IDE? from DMA if available to PIO.

Again, the problem is the CD/DVD Drive reads audio CDs but not data CDs.

Any help or ideas on what may be wrong?

Thanks for your help!!

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You always want your opticals in DMA.

Go into Device Manager find the drive, right click and uninstall it, then reboot.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. muskeit

muskeit Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I tried both solutions but none worked.

5. muskeit

muskeit Thread Starter

I take back my previous post. After several futile attempts, I tried a data CD one last time and it worked!! The CD/DVD drive is working fine again. It is a little slow but at least it is working again. THANKS for your help!!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice