1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD Drive wont read any disks!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devil666, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devil666

Devil666 Thread Starter

Well, that isn't strictly true, it will read one and only one of my disks.

On every other disk I insert, I go into the Drive, and it says 'Please insert disk into drive D:' when I already have a disk in it. But with this one disk, which is only a game, it recognises it. I don't know if this is the problem, but I have left that disk in for a while, without taking it out even when I turned the computer ona and off.

Can anyone help?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There must be something different about the disk it reads and the disks it won't. What are the differences (CD, DVD, factory disk, home-made disk, etc.)?

3. Devil666

Devil666 Thread Starter

No... I don't think that's the problem. I forgot to mention, but a screen comes up every time I turn on the computer, which says at the bottom - Boot from CD: Then it proceeds as normal. Is it possible that my computer is booting from this CD?

EDIT: This is the sort of screen, but not mine, just a picture I found off the internet. [​IMG]

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Still waiting for detailed descriptions of the CDs. If it reads one and not the other, it is impossible they are identical.

You are the eyes and ears. We cannot see or experience your problem without your cooperation. That's why we ask questions and make suggestions.

5. Devil666

Devil666 Thread Starter

OK then, if you are so sure, why is the CD that it will read a game, and one of the ones it wont is the expansion for that very same game?

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Look at the possibility that one might be a CD and the other a DVD. Many games are distributed on DVD and the "expansions" on CD.

Advice: If you are asking someone to volunteer to help you, strictly out of their own good nature, it would be advisable to cooperate with the person you call on -- and certainly don't be making that person ask more than once for the same information and certainly don't be confrontational.

I am unsubscribing from this thread.

7. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

You can lead a horse to water.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice