1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD Drivers not founds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MichaelD, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MichaelD

MichaelD Thread Starter

So yesterday I watched a movie on my notebook pc. Everything was running fine just as normal. Between then and now I haven't installed or uninstalled anything. Well today I went to watch another dvd on my computer and my computer wasn't recognizing the disc. I went to my computer and it wasn't listed or anything. So I checked the hardware thing and it said "Drivers cannot be found for this device" or something to that affect meaning that somehow my drivers have disappeared. I'm not very computer literate so I don't even know what cd/dvd drive I have. I have even went to the support website over at HP.com and it wasn't there. So I went back to the hardware thing and now my drive is not even listed on there. So I'm thinking somehow or another I've: basically screwed myself. I even tried to get into the BIOS thing (note: I did this from researching my problem before posting this thread) and I couldn't even get the BIOS thing to come up when I restarted my computer. Pressed F1 and ever other button and nothing happened. I need some serious help.:(

oh and my computer is an HP Pavilion dv8000 it's also a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084n

2. norton850

norton850

Hi

It's not uncommon in Windows XP for CD drives to go "missing". The drive is not listed in My Computer and Device Manager reports a problem similar to what you found. There are quite a few ways to solve the problem. If you go here, there is a Fix created by one of the forum members.

However if the drive is no longer listed in Device Manager at all that's something different. HP may use the F1 or F2 key for entering BIOS. You said nothing happens when you pressed an assortment of keys. What does that mean?

3. MichaelD

MichaelD Thread Starter

well I meant after I pressed F1 I went through F2 all the way down to the PG DN button with no results. I just did a system restore and that didn't work. I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it and no luck. I'll try the link that you posted. Ok so I checked the link and all it said was this

"REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]"

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's a registry script that you save as a .REG file, say FIX.REG

Double click it and answer yet to the merge question, reboot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice