1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD & DVD Drives inoperable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OldPioneer, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OldPioneer

OldPioneer Thread Starter

Computer - Dell Dimension 8200; 512MB purchased Nov 2002. OS MS Windows XP Professional w/SP2.

CD-ROM Samsung SC-148C
    CD-ROM NEC DVD=RW ND 1100A

Both IDE interface

Both drives rarely work. I can read disks but can't burn on either drive.

Is it time to replace these two drives? I've tried all the tests and keep geting OK's

My System Information states one Problem resource:
    Multimedia Controller PCI\VEN_1131&DEV_7146&SUBSYS_00031809&REV_01\5&22E1D113&0&3050F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

2. Diephaus

Diephaus

I hope somebody helps you: I've got the same issue with my Dell8400 and the NEC DVD and the Samsung CD (somehow now called SAMSUog!). Ed

3. OldPioneer

OldPioneer Thread Starter

I read the articles under HARDWARE that discussed PIO mode. I then did the following:
    1. Right click on MY COMPUTER; 2. Click PROPERTIES; 3. Click HARDWARE tab; 4. Click DEVICE MANAGER; 5. Check the IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLER + box; 6. Right click PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL; 7. Click ADVANCED SETTINGS; 8. If the TRANSFER MODE box reads PIO change the setting to DMA. 9. (Do the same sequence to the secondary IDE CHANNEL.)

I then burned a CD. Hope this works for you

4. Diephaus

Diephaus

Now I have the black screen of death! Can't get past a "Drive 4 not found etc etc...
    It's out of warranty; not sure what to do now.

Ed

5. norton850

norton850

Is that error message when you turn your computer on? One of your drives may have died. It could just be a loose cable.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice