1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD DVD Problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by weldor, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

This is my first problem with my new computer.
    I installed a Samsung DVD writer today and the instalation went well mechanically just plugged everything in and good to go.

The problem I have, which I am not sure has anything to do with the current instillation is when I put a CD with pictures on it in my original DVD-Rom drive (A CD that I have viewed before on this computer) It doesn't start. The last time I viewed it when I put it in the tray and closed the tray after it hummed a little a dialog box popped up asking what to use to view the CD, this no longer happens and it Opens Cine viewer and it wont display the pictures when I hit play it does nothing.

I had my Son try it in his lap top and it worked properly so I don't think it's the CD.

Any help appreciated.

Dell Dimension E521
    Win XP pro

2. emoxley

emoxley

Try this:
    Double click "My Computer", and right click on your drive. Then choose "Properties". Make sure the line that says "Prompt me each time to choose an action", is checked. If it's already checked, click on the line that says "Select an action to perform". That should enable the "Restore Defaults" button. Click on it. Then click on the "Apply" button. Then click on "OK".

After that, you may want to check the "Prompt me each time to choose an action" again, click on "Apply", and then click "OK". Hopefully, it will be back for you now? :)

3. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Thanks, I have tried that several times and still no go.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

How do you have the DVD writer set up on as Slave or Master or Cable Select and is it on the Secondary IDE cable?

5. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

The burner has an SATA cable hookup, no slave or master to set. Also when I try to view this picture CD in my origional DVD CD ROM that came on the computer I have this problem also.

I can go into Start / Run D: and by clicking on the file run it that way, but I used to be able to put it in and a screen would pop up asking me what program I wanted to use to run the disk, That is what no longer works.

Thanks.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

7. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Thanks MysticEyes. I just did the test and it says everything is ok.

I am about to my last straw, What really throws me is I can put the disk in my Sons laptop and it pops the box up immediately, It did this on this computer at one time.

I have to get back to work but will be back here this evening.

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions so far.

8. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

I'm back, if anyone has any other things to check please advise.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice