1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD R-RW Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JEYESE12, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JEYESE12

JEYESE12 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16285 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1862 GB (1122 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (1622 GB Free); L: 1862 GB (1623 GB Free); N: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, H67MA-E45 (MS-7678)
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Enabled and Updated

My computer is about 5 years old. I have 2 CD/DVD R-RW drives that came installed when I bought the computer.
    About a year ago, one of the drives would not play CD nor DVD sporadically. Now it doesn't play at all. The other drive worked fine, but now it only plays but does not record to CD nor DVD. I go to MY COMPUTER, only one drive shows up. I right click on that drive, then click on properties and it shows that the device is working properly and the driver is up to date.
    Is there anything I can do to get them running, or should I just give up and replace them?

THANK YOU

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Personally I would just buy a new one, DVD-RW drives are very cheap these days.

3. JEYESE12

JEYESE12 Thread Starter

THANK YOU.
    I HAVE BENN PRICING THEM, THEY ARE PRETTY CHEAP.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a bunch of drives for less than $20;
    https://www.newegg.com/CD-DVD-Burners/SubCategory/ID-5?Tid=7589
    When CD burners cost hundreds of $ I used to take them apart and clean the laser inside the drive however now it is not worth the time.

The first CD burner I purchased cost approx $350 and that was a 2x burner!!!

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Last time I bought one I bought two, one for a spare and in case the price went up, got them for special $17.99 each and free shipping. Fixed one in my old dell, robbed a tray belt out of one I had for parts and got it going again. Seems like the belts get bad in the ones I have had over the years. Noticed the IDE burners are a lot more because they are a dying breed kind of like VCR's. My brother gave me a combo stand alone DVD burner/Player with VCR recorder/player with HDMI output for Christmas two years ago. He paid $225, now they are going for $400 up online because they don't make them any more.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice