1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD writer seemingly burns disc, but disc is still blank

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by StupidBot, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StupidBot

StupidBot Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm a newbie here, and am hoping somebody can help with this issue. I have a hp pavillion dv6000 laptop with vista 64, and a built-in cd/dvd burner. Recently, no matter what software I use to burn discs(data, audio, mp3 etc) the process completes normally, but the disc remains blank. I've looked all over the forums, and searched google for answers as well, but came up with - pardon the pun - a blank. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
    whydoesmycomputerhateme

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Does the drive appear without any warnings or errors in the Windows Hardware device manager? If no problems are shown, it could be an internal failure of the burner hardware.

3. StupidBot

StupidBot Thread Starter

Hi cwwozniak,

The drive appears without warnings and errors in device manager. I even tried uninstalling the device drivers(deleting in device manager) and re-installing it to no avail. Is it still possible that it isn't a hardware problem? Are there any software tools that I could download to test this? Thanks again.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    If re-installing drivers and trying different software did not solve the problem, I would have to say a hardware failure was the most like scenario. The fact that the device manager does not show any issues and different burning software gives the same results reinforces that hardware failure is the probable cause.

You can wait and see if anyone here may know of a similar situation that was not caused by a drive failure.

5. bp936

bp936

did you change the brand of the blank CDs? I had once the same problem and it was the stack of CD's were bad,

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!