1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd/dvds suddenly won't play

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Can I Kill It, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Can I Kill It

Can I Kill It Thread Starter

About a month ago, my cd/dvd drives suddenly decided to NOT play dvds or games (eg. Neverwinter Nights II).
    I had changed NOTHING! Now, I've removed hardware/unpluged my drives, switched them around, blah, blah and NOTHING IS WORKING and there is NO REASON why this should be happening.
    My head is going to pop soon!

PLEASE HELP! :eek:

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

check the drives as you have moved the position on the cable have you reset the the jumpers to suit master or slave positions on the cable.

A bit more info is needed as to what you have done

3. Can I Kill It

Everything is working EXACTLY as they did when the drive first stopped reading DVDs & games- before I switched things around and what-not. They BOTH will play CDs but not DVDs & games.
    Both drives won't even acknowledge that a DVD or game is even in it!:confused:

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

5. Hughv

Hughv

These drives die frequently, and you may need to replace it. They are inexpensive in desktops, and easy to replace.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Try this little app.

http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

7. Can I Kill It

I got Driver Detective. It didn't help. I just got done with a COMPLETE system restore. IT didn't work.
    Should I just get a priest to exorcise my computer?

8. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/ worth a look at these options.
    if your pc is on xp then service pk3 may have cause problems when it loaded in..
    did you try loading the aspi layer i suggested? back on 5th nov..

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Folks make suggestions and you don't acknowledge whether you tried any of them. You just come up with another tale of woe. Driver Detective?

Yes, contact a priest.

10. Can I Kill It

Of course I'm trying them. I've done EVERYTHING suggested. I had THOUGHT that would be known. Why else would I continue to post that it still wasn't working...

11. Hughv

Hughv

I hear your frustration.
    We don't know, however, what you've done unless you tell us.
    Buy a new drive.
    BTW, Neverwinter was one of my favorite games of all time.

12. Mr.Untech

Mr.Untech

Hello all. I have been having the same problem my cds or dvds will not play. Awhile back I went through cdgone app and it worked after that. Today I went to play a cd and nothing. I'm using Vista Home edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mr.-Untech

13. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

14. ronalds173

ronalds173

I, too, have just recently started having this problem. However, I bought a CD/DVD disc clearner which seems to correct the problem, but only temporarily, (today, however, that doesn't even seem to be working). But, in my case, I can see both my F (DVD-ROM) and E (DVD-/+ RW) drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer, it just won't read DVD's--only audio CD's. (For the record, I have a Sony Vaio model PCV-RS520. My DVD-ROM is an Hitachi HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B). Also, I don't know if there is any connection or not so I will note this other problem here too. I get sound both from my DVD-ROM when playing an audio disc, as well as from streaming web sites when I first boot up, but then it seems to just stop. The only way to restore it seems to be by rebooting.:confused:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!