1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/DVD's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by apothiki, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apothiki

apothiki Thread Starter

My query is one that must appear quite often. Please bear with me I am new to the forum. My problem is the CD/DVD drive will only play DVD's. There is no response to installing a CD other than a brief 'whirring' noise and a few 'clicks'. I admit it is under used. Could this be the problem? I operate Windows XL.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

How old os the CD drive?

Usually if the DVD part works but the Cds do not it can mean the CD part has gone faulty.

3. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

You could try a laser cleaner for your drive. How old is your machine? alot of drives use different lasers for reading dvds to cd's and the cd reading laser may have stopped working properly.
    If So to be honest, easiest soloution is to replace the drive, however try laser cleaner first.

4. apothiki

apothiki Thread Starter

Thanks for your time. The drive is 5yrs old. A village know all mentioned the CD laser's gone. Does this make sense. Cheers.

5. Megabite

Megabite

5years is a good life for a Cd drive.......just replace it

6. apothiki

apothiki Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.The drive is 5yrs old. How do I administer the cleaner bearing in mind the CD drive is static. Cheers.

7. Megabite

Megabite

I don't think the cleaner will help.....sounds like the lazer on the Cd part has gone faulty

8. apothiki

apothiki Thread Starter

Cheers, thanks for your help.

9. apothiki

apothiki Thread Starter

Cheers. Thanks for your help.

10. Megabite

Megabite

No probs....best to buy a DVD/Cd combo drive

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice