1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD eject restarts computer...?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ColonelKernel, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ColonelKernel

ColonelKernel Thread Starter

The physical eject button of my CD-ROM sometimes restarts my computer. No warning. No error message. Just a blank screen and then the boot sequence, followed by ScanDisk's infuriating reminder on how to shutdown the computer. This only happens about 10% of the time.

This could be related to another issue. When a CD was ejected from within certain programs, I used to get an error saying that I needed to reinstall the operating system. I Mickey-Moused the issue by disableling the CD auto-eject.

Help!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi ColonelKernel, welcome to TSG....

What happens if you go back and 'un-mickey mouse' your fix?

3. Rockn

Rockn

Never seen an "auto-eject" option anywhere in Windoze. Perhaps you are ejecting the CD when an application like Windoze Explorer is accessing it.

4. ColonelKernel

ColonelKernel Thread Starter

The "auto-eject" isn't the issue as I now avoid the event that caused it.

What is driving me Nucking Futs is that every 10th-ish time when I press the eject button on the CD-ROM drive itself, Windoze restarts. It's like driving down the highway and opening up your glove box and the car shuts down. If it happened everytime, that would be different, but it's not.

A note on the "auto-eject" issue. When I finished ripping an entire CD in Music Match or burning a CD in Sony CD Extreme the software would eject the disk and I would get a message about reinstalling the OpSys. But I deselected the auto-eject option. I mentioned it in my first post only because it was related to the ejecting action.

I will re-select the auto-eject feature and see what happens. I will also try ejecting the disc from within the software to see if I get the same result.

btw, Win98se, 512RAM, 300 Celery

5. $teve

$teve

colonel..........i had this problem a while back,and also re-boots and lock-ups for no apparent reason,eventually i found out i had a faulty ram stick..............maybe not in your case but worth a look.;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice